News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Dan, now you've scared the young man! :)

Dan

When I think of Dan/P, I think he looks like this

http://tinyurl.com/2fd8rs3
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

Tom;
What do they say; "I'm not bad. but the bad don't mess with me."

Dan;
This is about the best I can do.
Why do Moms do that to their kids, is it revenge for when they get older, and can embarrass them in front of their friends ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

I am sorry if I offended you D/P I just had a different picture of you in my head
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Kennyc1955;
I've developed a thick skin, to go along with my thick skull, you didn't offend me.
D/P

AET

Well heck, I'm calling you D/P if I ever get in a fight, they're gonna take one look atcha and know you can deliver 'em a butt woopin! 

I'm sorry I can't be part of the conference call.  I'll sadly be at work :(
- Tom

Phonesrfun

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on April 23, 2010, 04:51:29 AM
I'm sorry I can't be part of the conference call.  I'll sadly be at work :(

Not to worry.  It is being recorded.
-Bill G

rp2813

Kenny, check out this thread:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=810.0

You'll find a very different looking D/P there.  Along with pix of other members.  I think I might pull up this thread while on the conference call to match faces with names.
Ralph

Dennis Markham

I split the topic about the conference call, giving it it's own location.  It can be seen here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2554.0

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 21, 2010, 12:22:34 AM
I was not the only one that saw it's potential, 130 people viewed the auction.
D/P

How do you tell how many are viewing?  I looked around on my watch list and also one item I'm bidding on, and I can't find the number of people viewing.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

At the bottom of an auction listing, there is usually a number that reflects how many time the auction has been viewed.

Dennis;
I didn't realize just my photo would do that I thought you had to be in person.
D/P

Greg G.

I went back and did a quick review of this thread to catch up, mostly looking at your pictures of the restoration progress.  I also looked at the bid history to see what the starting price was, $4.99.  I bet the seller was tickled about the final price.  Just goes to show you, one man's junk is another man's treasure.  At least the seller was savvy enough to put it up for sale instead of tossing it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 21, 2010, 03:05:07 PM
Hope no one objects, I made one small change to the phone.

D/P
Dan,
I was leaning towards clear plungers being "proper".
It does appear that the ones in the photo are flat toped, which makes them more likely to be "as installed"

Regarding the handset. I have studied the photo and compared it with an early handset. The handset in the photo appears to be slightly different than a standard "g".

It looks like you may be able to get the same effect by adding a thin layer of material to the "spine" of the handset.
It was probably "thinned" for cost savings and/or a more comfortable "fit" to smaller hands.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Jim;
So you also see a slight difference between the as issued handset, and the one shown in the photo ? I tried to duplicate the effect using a standard 500 handset, but could not get the ridge I see in the photo.
Ralph suggested that it may be camera or angle distortion, which is I guess still possible, as other parts don't appear as correct.

The plungers, look like the photo then right, flat topped ?

D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 24, 2010, 01:46:51 PM
Jim;
So you also see a slight difference between the as issued handset, and the one shown in the photo ? I tried to duplicate the effect using a standard 500 handset, but could not get the ridge I see in the photo.
Ralph suggested that it may be camera or angle distortion, which is I guess still possible, as other parts don't appear as correct.

The plungers, look like the photo then right, flat topped ?

D/P

Dan,
The  plungers appear flattop in the photo you posted. The "screwed foot" ad also looked like flat top plungers but it was hard to tell.
I think flat top clear plungers are proper.

If you take a g handset and build up the "footprint" of the spine with a couple of layers of thin cardboard. I think you will see the same visual effect on the handset.

It looks like the spine is a bit raised on the photo. I say this because of the apperance of the spine vs the transmitter "cup"

If you try cardboard  and it works, then you could always experiment with "thickening" the handset with a piece of thin plastic.

It may be possible to find this handset in someone's parts box,
I am thinking there is a good chance it is unmarked.

Have you tried examining the G proto-types handset photo?
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.