News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 1000 (Red Bar)ringer

Started by liteamorn, February 10, 2012, 06:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liteamorn

An early Valentines gift from my girlfriend is a Kellogg 1000. During the ebay auction someone asked the seller if the phone was metal or Bakelite and he responded that it was Bakelite.

I got the phone yesterday and when she asked me about the "spots" by the cradle and what I thought they were I took a closer look. Well the phone is not Bakelite but is in fact a metal shell 1000.

The phone is in great shape sans those few dings at the cradle except it won't ring. I tried reversing the polarity on the ringer and a few other changes, nothing. I searched here and found that what I had was probably a frequency ringer for party lines. I was not prepared for what I found next though. Under the condenser I saw the tiniest corners of paper or cardboard. After finagling with it for a few minutes i got it out and found it was a schematic for Kellogg ringers, with a list of ringers and whether or not they were frequency, lo and behold, mine was indeed a "selective" ringer. It also had some wiring for different types of rings (three short bursts) which I found queried in another thread. Don't know which direction I want to go, the bells are shined up nice and really sound nice when tapped with a screwdriver.

My girlfriend has really put some classic phones in my hands, God she finds the good ones!

HarrySmith

Sounds like a nice phone & a nice girlfiend. Your ringer can probably be made to work by nibbling the reed. Can you scan & post that list? It might come in handy in the future andd Remco may want to add it to the repository.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

liteamorn

I tried to scan it this afternoon for a bit but my scanner is on strike. I will get it up asap. The print is very small so I'm thinking I have to make it a pdf file to make it legible.

LarryInMichigan

liteamorn.

Congratulations on your new metal red bar.  The metal ones are not quite so easy to find.  I just bought one on-line, which should be arriving on Monday, which was also listed as bakelite, but after some correspondence with the seller, it was determined to be metal.  I think that many people look at the handset, see that it is bakelite, and assume that the whole phone is bakelite.

As far as I am aware, the vast majority of these phones were equipped with frequency ringers, and trimming the reed is not so easy.  I have two bakelite red bars without proper ringers, and one spare SL ringer which will probably go into the new metal one.

Larry

liteamorn

Larry you are right, trimming the reed is a daunting task at best. I have nipped, filed, drilled grabbed it with needle nose plyers. The outermost edges of the reed are all but gone now and the best I can get out of the clapper is a non visable vibration that is useless as far as ringing the gongs. I think i am going to keep my eye out for a SL ringer for this phone.

On another note, I received a Kellogg 1000 "Selectophone" wall model yesterday for Valentines day. Upon scouring this site I am aware that i would basically have to replace everything inside of it to make it work as a telephone. What a beautiful design though, brown bakelite, art deco design. A true classic.

liteamorn

Here is the pdf file (I hope) of the paper that I found in my 1000 with ringer info

Vern P

Nice phone. As for the SL ringer, I think that Steve Hilsz may have some. I had asked him about a junk SOP that I had got for parts.

Yes, the metal one are less comomn, they look great when Nickel plated.

Vern P

Doug Rose

I have a red bar base that is like new, let me dig it out and I'll get some pictures. They just snap on with the prong that comes off of the dial to the coil. These are very cool phones, I love the lines of them.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I actually found what I was looking for!!! First time right where it should have been. Frightening!!

Nice Red bar base in really like new condition. I put dial tone to the red and black of the ringer and it RINGS LOUD!!

PM me if you are interested.....Doug
Kidphone