News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New In The Box Gold Ericofon w/ original papers everything. Opinions?

Started by Snake, February 23, 2012, 07:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

So a person contacted me about a rotary phone he said his father received in 1977, when he worked for North Electric. Well it turned out to be a New in the Box Gold Ericofon that hasn't been out of it's box since 1977, and has never been used. He also mentioned something about these gold ericofons had both a rough and smooth type finish he was told. And rough ones are apparently more sought after ??? He says this one has a rough finish. I don't know much of anything when it comes to ericofons, and would like to know what a safe price to pay for this phone would be. Also, I'd also like to know if this NIB Ericofon is as rare as I think it is. :o Thanks in advance for your help.

Russ Kirk

Cool phone.

One recently sold on eBay for $293.88, no box and a little used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280821704116

Richard rose runs a great Ericofon web page.

http://www.ericofon.com/

His web page shows;

Gold plate has a rarity of 5 out of 10
Aztec gold ( might be this one) has a rarity of 8 out of 10.

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

AE_Collector

I wanted to see who snagged that one on ebaY but was PO'd to see that p***o (Private) got it :(

Terry

Snake

Quote from: AE_collector on February 23, 2012, 07:59:47 PM
I wanted to see who snagged that one on ebaY but was PO'd to see that p***o (Private) got it :(

Terry

p***o also got a a green soft plastic 500 I was bidding on the other day >:( .

Snake

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 23, 2012, 07:54:56 PM
Cool phone.

One recently sold on eBay for $293.88, no box and a little used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280821704116

Richard rose runs a great Ericofon web page.

http://www.ericofon.com/

His web page shows;

Gold plate has a rarity of 5 out of 10
Aztec gold ( might be this one) has a rarity of 8 out of 10.

That's interesting... He's asking less then that for it. I'm going to talk to him again and try and make a deal.

LarryInMichigan

The Ericofon is one of those very popular collectibles, so they often go for alot.  I would expect this one to go for well over $300 if properly listed on ebay.

Larry

Snake

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 23, 2012, 09:09:46 PM
The Ericofon is one of those very popular collectibles, so they often go for alot.  I would expect this one to go for well over $300 if properly listed on ebay.

Larry

I think your right, I don't think there's many opportunities to buy a basically nos phone such as this.

dsk

By my opinion these are far to high priced, but it doesent matter, if you want to sell it it seems like you will get your money back. Ericofon, or cobra telephones has been extremely fascinating for people wanting some retro design, and does not only appeal to collectors. This makes a market.

Could it be possible to get a closer look at the paper on the box, it looks like it contains a diagram.

dsk

twocvbloke

I can't say I ever liked these phones myself, granted they're a great idea, and for the era they were made in, they were pretty cool, but personally I prefer a more traditional phone... :)

It is cool that there are still some NIB though, as with anything made decades ago, finding anything NIB is one of those must-haves, cos when they're gone, they're gone... :)

Snake

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 24, 2012, 04:30:54 AM
I can't say I ever liked these phones myself, granted they're a great idea, and for the era they were made in, they were pretty cool, but personally I prefer a more traditional phone... :)

It is cool that there are still some NIB though, as with anything made decades ago, finding anything NIB is one of those must-haves, cos when they're gone, they're gone... :)

To be honest with you, I don't care for them either! I mean, I like them for what they are, but I wouldn't use them for anything but a display item. If I got this one it would be my first, and I'd just be getting it for the rarity aspect of it.

dpaynter1066

Danish modern was nice while it lasted.

If your going to get one of these phones,  then you'll also need to buy a silver aluminum Christmas tree, red satin ornaments and a color wheel lamp that shines on the tree to go with all the new furnature you need to coordinate it with.  then you can put it on the maple table, sit back in your egg chair in a sweater vest and tie and think to yourself: "wow, that shiny gold phone doesn't stick out like I was afraid it would."

I might get an aztec red one, they look pretty good.

LarryInMichigan

Interesting picture.  Keeping a stack of books a few inches from a fire does not seem like a good idea to me, but what do I know about style?

Larry

twocvbloke

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 24, 2012, 04:14:47 PM
Interesting picture.  Keeping a stack of books a few inches from a fire does not seem like a good idea to me, but what do I know about style?

Larry

Maybe it's someone's homework assignment from a book-burning session...  :D

Either that or they're terrible board games that are used for firelighters... ;D

dpaynter1066

the Danish!  They keep their books by the fire, but yet they eat continental breakfasts cold and mutter unintelligible conundrums on golden phones.

a coincidence? I don't think so!

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Reptile_Master on February 23, 2012, 08:17:34 PM
That's interesting... He's asking less then that for it. I'm going to talk to him again and try and make a deal.

Tristan,  are you going to get the phone?  

If not,  maybe someone here would like it and and you can post the contact info.   Although at around $300 it is a a bit too high form my pocketbook.  (at least this close to a phone phone show <grin>)  it would be cool to place it next to my gold princess.

Russ...
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI