News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rose Beige Western Electric 302??

Started by Doug Rose, December 12, 2011, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked this up on eBay last week and it sure looks rose beige to me. A professionaly painted phone with matching cords. A few very minor marks from use. I have never seen this color in a 302 and the cords do match....Doug
Kidphone

Jester

Nice find, Doug.  WE did offer the 302 in rose beige.  It would have had clear plungers, a 5J or 6D dial and molded in color cover with a painted handset-- like the blood red set you have.  I've been looking for one of those, but nothing's come up yet.
Stephen

bingster

Is that a Western or Northern set?  Several people have found similar painted 302s with matching vinyl cords that were put together by Northern Electric.
= DARRIN =

GG

That cord is the type used on a G handset, with the strain relief grommet shaved down a bit so it fits into the F handset.  Northern Electric (or for that matter WE) didn't do that.  What I'd do with that cord is remove the grommet and add a regular strain relief hook that can be fastened in the normal manner inside the handset.

In any case the overall result looks great.  Wonder what it would look like with a clear fingerwheel: perhaps some continuity to the beige 5302? 

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jester on December 12, 2011, 07:25:37 PM
Nice find, Doug.  WE did offer the 302 in rose beige.  It would have had clear plungers, a 5J or 6D dial and molded in color cover with a painted handset-- like the blood red set you have.  I've been looking for one of those, but nothing's come up yet.
Stephen...this is a fully painted set, but has the looks and feel of a professional [paint job. There are a few marks, but overall not bad.

I didn't know WE made a Rose Beige Molded soft plastic with the painted handset like the blood red set. I have seen the Red, Ivory and the green, heard about the blue, but never seen one. This is definitely painted.

Cords and Painted plungers point it away from WE, but maybe a secondary vendor. Cords do match well. I added the fingerwheel and retainer ring as I do not have a clear open face finger wheel to fit a #5 dial. I'm still deciding if it is a keeper or not.  If I keep it I will put a 6D with a clear finger wheel. ,,,,Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Kidphone

jsowers

Doug, if you don't mind checking, what's the date on that coil cord crimp? Or is there a date?

It looks like a cord from the 50s but it's hard to tell for sure. That would possibly tell when it was refurbished. There was a company in New York City that repainted and resold 302s in the 1970s and they painted the fingerwheel and switchhook buttons too, so this could be one of those. They sold mail order all across the US and advertised in lots of magazines. I have a couple of their catalogs. Their phones came in all the standard colors and gold too. I don't remember seeing 500 set cords on theirs, though. They had vinyl color matching straight and coiled cords with correct strain reliefs, usually. I've bought a few of them over the years. The paint on them is fairly well done and durable if not used too heavily.
Jonathan

Doug Rose

Jonathan....I tried to open the phone yesterday with no luck. The case is very tight and I did not want to damage it. If I cracked this case I would be extremely upset. As much as I want to keep it, I have no room. It will be on eBay today....Doug
Kidphone