News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A fine addition to your payphone collection.

Started by Stan S, June 18, 2017, 04:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on June 20, 2017, 09:10:40 PM
I don't read AE TB well but that was the only AE upload in the last 50 uploads and it did say 470-920 so I assumed 499 was in the middle but I couldn't find anything related to any TB number including 499 in that 25 page document.

Just followed you directions as to where it was, found that link and posted here to save other time, if it's the right one.
Thanks for trying.  I used the browser page search function (ctrl F) and found 499 immediately.

I see that it refers to a series of P-numbers which I assume were separate circuit labels thus 499 is not a stand-alone doc. as such. and the PDF is complete as it stands.

TelePlay

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on June 20, 2017, 09:21:23 PM
Thanks for trying.  I used the browser page search function (ctrl F) and found 499 immediately.

I see that it refers to a series of P-numbers which I assume were separate circuit labels thus 499 is not a stand-alone doc. as such. and the PDF is complete as it stands.

Tried that first before. I didn't get any hits for "499" and didn't now when trying it again.

Could you post the correct link. I'm going to stop looking.

Russ62

Hi, As an electronic technician I'm a better navigator of schematic diagrams than I am online forums and internet things.  The handbook was by it self, not part of a set and I got in the late 1990s' soon after I started collecting payphones.                 Russell

Stan S

Russell
If you are referring to the coin track like the one in the attached picture I wish you lots of luck. I know of ONLY ONE of these coin tracks that exists.

The Gray and Gray/Western 50 and 150 series were virtually identical. The lead coin track in the picture was produced for political (business) reasons. They are branded Gray in the circle just like the die cast hoppers were. All this was done right after the split with the Bell System. These parts were branded and appear in the Gray publication 'Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow'. That book was sent to all the stock holders of Gray Mfg stock to calm them down. They weren't happy with the company they owned stock in loosing 80% of their gross business.

In reality all the Gray 50s and 150s had the same lead coin tracks in them from the beginning to the end of their production. When they were converted to 10 cents they got the common (readily available) lead coin tracks with the nickel counting assembly.

Without going into details 'local prepay' is NOT the same as prepay. Local prepay did not exist when the payphones Russell is talking about were in use. A 'Gray' is not the same as a 'Gray/Western'.

Stan S.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Russ62 on June 20, 2017, 09:32:04 PM
Hi, As an electronic technician I'm a better navigator of schematic diagrams than I am online forums and internet things.  The handbook was by it self, not part of a set and I got in the late 1990s' soon after I started collecting payphones.                 Russell
Interesting!  I don't recall it being offered or mentioned by anyone in the past on the TCI or ATCA lists.  I'll contact Phoneco.  I'm sure I got my 3 book set well before that, probably the 80s.  Been collecting payphones since long before that!

How many printed page images is it?

Stan S

Ron's only been selling them for over 20 years. This is the second version. 474 Pages.
See attached.

Stan S.

Russ62

Hi,  It was labeled  Coin Telephone Handbook.  It was 600 pages shipped wrapped in cellophane with no binder but punched with holes for a 3 ring binder which is what I put it in, probably a reprint or photocopy but quite readable.  It covers GTE practices for 3 slot and single slot from early 1960s to early 1980s.  Included was installation, maintenance, schematics, of these phones. Also booths, enclosures etc. I wish I had the 1940s or 1950s versions of this. Its not a payphone history book of which I have both versions, its strictly  GTE practices which I found useful for the later A.E. payphones part of my collection.                               Russell

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on June 20, 2017, 09:28:57 PM
Tried that first before. I didn't get any hits for "499" and didn't now when trying it again.

Could you post the correct link. I'm going to stop looking.
I can't imagine why not.  It's under "Steve-C's Inbox".  Items under any given heading appear to be in alphabetical order.  However company IDs are inconsistent so it could have been under "AE, A.E., AECo, Automatic Electric, etc."  That's why I almost always search by number.  Less likely to come away empty handed.

AECo_Bulletin_499_Oct57_-_Instructions_For_Converting_Paystations_To_Ten_Cent_Service_tci.pdf      1.02 MB    2015-03-29

AECo_Bulletin_499_Oct57_-_Instructions_For_Converting_Paystations_To_Ten_Cent_Service_tci

Unfortunately it's not bookmarked and given the nature of the material, thumbnails are essentially useless.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Stan S on June 20, 2017, 10:18:57 PM
Ron's only been selling them for over 20 years. This is the second version. 474 Pages.
See attached.

Stan S.
Quote from: Russ62 on June 20, 2017, 10:25:30 PM
Hi,  It was labeled  Coin Telephone Handbook.  It was 600 pages shipped wrapped in cellophane with no binder but punched with holes for a 3 ring binder which is what I put it in, probably a reprint or photocopy but quite readable.  It covers GTE practices for 3 slot and single slot from early 1960s to early 1980s.  Included was installation, maintenance, schematics, of these phones. Also booths, enclosures etc. I wish I had the 1940s or 1950s versions of this. Its not a payphone history book of which I have both versions, its strictly  GTE practices which I found useful for the later A.E. payphones part of my collection.                               Russell
So which is it?  Payphone History or Coin Telephone Handbook?  I have PH (somewhere!) but don't have and don't recall CTH. 

The 3 vol. set I mentioned is "Old Telephones - Scrap Book, History & Identification, & Price Guide"  The first two are wire spiral bound.  PG is "perfect bound".

I have AE TB's 470-918, 919 and 920 covering 82, 86 and 89 types (not necessarily in that order) and also have a CHB series Coin Telephone Handbook which is 2" thick or so covering a wider variety including older ones.

19and41

It appears to be black as opposed to gray.

;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

mentalstampede

The Coin Telephone Handbook is a GTE internal publication. There are a number of different editions based on year. This is a totally different book from Ron's Payphone history. There have been a couple on Ebay recently. I would love to get my hands on a copy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-coin-telephone-handbook-lots-of-drawings-instructions-/232308176513
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-coin-payphone-telephone-handbook-/232308200263

Quote from: Russ62 on June 20, 2017, 10:25:30 PM
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

trainman

i bet this is a Phoneco phone that some clueless person doesnt know its a recreation and becuse of the writing on the vault, assumes its a real phone