News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Difference of Opinions

Started by Doug Rose, April 07, 2014, 08:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

We are the alledged experts that people with no knowledge coming looking for help. If a 302 doesn't dial out, we don't tell someone they need a pulse converter or a 616.  Lets check and see if its wired properly first. If they want their 202 to "work" we don't tell them they have to spend $100s on extra parts. Is the Forum becoming phone snobs? Do it my way or its wrong? Let's try to help a person who has a question, not how the BSP did it.

I sell phones on eBay every week that work. NO Pulse converters or digital adapters, just honest to goodness real telephone parts. If a person wants their 202 to work, they want to pick it up and talk and dial their friends. If its not your idea or working, keep it to yourself. Most people are thrilled with it "working" that way.

I'm not sure how putting a pulse converter is accepted, but a 202 without a subset is wrong.

Advice should be just that , advice. Not what you think is correct.

Dear Abby is advice, not an editorial. Mistakes are being made giving bad advice, in my humble opinion....Doug
Kidphone

Contempra

I don't know if this forum is snob or not but I noticed that many revel in believing themselves better than others, what pisses me off royally. and I agree when someone asks how do i do for wiring my phone because it doesn't work properly !...they just need the advise for their problem(s)... As you say, they don't need the complete BSP...

twocvbloke

I'm guessing this has been brought on by my mentioning the pulse-to-tone adaptors and a 616 here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11625

Fair enough, my mind was elsewhere, I'm working on something else at the moment (constructing an amplifier for my headphones for listening to a turntable or other line-level audio source), I should have mentioned to make sure the dial worked, but that's why this is a forum, many people can advise on one topic, adding to or correcting other people's advice...

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Contempra on April 07, 2014, 08:35:54 PM
I noticed that many revel in believing themselves better than others, what pisses me off royally.
Well put, Denis. I think the scenario Doug brings up reminds me of people in business who try to rip you off; like a $50 up-front fee for a service, with $30 a month for 15 years.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

Although, I don't think we are becoming snobs, I think we are just very intelligent. Meaning, why have other people do costly procedures etc., when we usually have a more affordable and efficient way. Just my 2 cents on that topic..

My thoughts on the BSP's.

But, if you don't mind, I'd like to add some input. I find, with some people who are not collectors, but pick up a phone that is cool, and they want it to work, they just want it to work, rather than a list of the BSP's. So, I think for people like that, just helping with wiring, by telling them to move wires etc., is good.

Although, for more experienced members, the BSP's can come in handy, though not always. Especially, if phones are wired differently for the modern line, or the write up is excessive.

Just my thoughts,
Ben

Matilo Telephones

I agree with Denis and Doug on their view to some level, although maybe I would formulate it differently.

Some seem to have forgotten what it is like to be a newby. And at one time everone was a newby and a wannebe.

Advice being too cryptical for the one being advises is useless! So throwing about technical mumbo jumbo and bsp's and the like is only putting the one being advised down, is it not. You can tell by the way the question was put that the person asking it is not going to understand such an answer.

Besides that there seems to be cold indifference or little appreciation to the fact that the telephone world they live in is not the same for everybody. But this certainly does not apply for everybody on this forum.

There are many who do express genuine appreciation for what other do and do give good advice, being mindfull of the situation of whoever asks a question or puts forward a problem.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

dsk

Hi
I feel some guilt here, and it is easy dig to deep into the problems.

I will really like if you send me a pm to remind me if I go to far.  :D

We have a running intercom discussion who might be one of that kind.  http://tinyurl.com/qha9xty

dsk

Doug Rose

Thanks folks.....this one really bothers me as I saw this fine piece being tossed in the trash....."ah f*ck it, not owrth the money"....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11478.msg122444#msg122444
Kidphone

Sargeguy

I find that most of my customers want to hear the phone ring and answer incoming calls as well as dialing out, in which case a subset certainly comes in handy. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dennisjnunes

Being sophisticated or intelligent about a subject is one thing being a know it all is another!
  when I joined the forum all I knew was how to make a call the know it all's is what drove me away for quite a while, now that I have opened it up to take a look, I am very glad to see what some members are doing to address what partly drove me away.  Dennis

Doug Rose

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 08, 2014, 11:07:16 AM
I find that most of my customers want to hear the phone ring and answer incoming calls as well as dialing out, in which case a subset certainly comes in handy. 
Subsets are handy, good point, people like their phones to ring. Agreed! So far, so good. What if there was another phone in the house, they would hear it ring. Then they could answer the 202. If your customer was leery of spending substantial extra money on something they did not have a clue about, not even knowing if their 202 worked, would you wire it up for them? Just asking. I have seen E1s and dials not work. Handset cords get static.  I know it breaks the BSP Rules, but it would be a nice thing to do. They would be thrilled. Would you rather hold firm to the BSP and the 202 parts would  be like the earlier mentioned phone and find its way to the trash. Whaddaya think? Me, I always try to save an old phone and maybe please someone along the way....Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

Here is a good example  This newbie did it right. He spent some time fiddling with the phone and sent some excellent photos.  Harry chimed in with a very common solution.   

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11639.0;topicseen

All too often I see newbie just leave a one liner asking for vague help and no photos or description of what they have already tried. I have seen that these newbies that get the quick reference to the BSPs.  For a newbie to fix their broken phone will take a bit of trouble shooting and diligence.  But in the end they will be better informed when their second phone comes around.

I have the greatest respect and admiration to a lot of people on this forum. I think EVERYONE here is very helpful and kind to the newbies. I tend not to help because that is not my area of expertise  (I tend to buy a lot of phones and fix very little).  I have never seen anyone here being a snob or unfriendly to the newbies,  after all we were all a newbie at one time.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Slal

Not one to stick my nose where is doesn't belong. 

Mind if add my impressions here at CRPF as a new-comer? 

Or... Is this a case of what I might call 'the big dogs' (who probably already know one another) just hashing out some disagreements?  Happens on every board.

thx

--Bruce

twocvbloke

Quote from: Slal on April 08, 2014, 08:10:28 PMMind if add my impressions here at CRPF as a new-comer? 

Add away, any input is welcomed... :)

paul-f

Everyone should feel comfortable posting their opinions as long as all adhere to our rules of conduct and keep the posts civil:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10354.0

• a) All members must treat each others with respect. We are all human and we are not infallible. We all make mistakes and have bad days. Please keep this in mind in your everyday dealings with others.

b) Disputes between members must not be aired out in public. If you have a dispute with another member, please resolve it privately. If you refer to the dispute in a forum post, do not name the other member involved. If you must discuss this with the opposing party, feel free to use a PM or email viewable only by the parties involved.
It takes at least two to create a dispute.  Each of us can choose to not participate.  Let those who choose to argue do it somewhere else.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line