and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

'59 W E 500 I won!!!!!

Started by Bill Cahill, September 19, 2008, 10:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

;D I won!! I won!!!!

Take a look.. Did I pay too much?
http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190251697071&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123
(www.ebay.com/itm/190251697071) EDIT: Link dead 1-26-18

Bill Cahill   ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

McHeath

Paid too much?!  12 bucks is a deal, wish I'd a got a vintage black 500 in good shape for 12 bucks.  My best deal here was a 54' model 500 with acne that I paid 25 dollars for, that was a local buy.

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Bill Cahill on September 19, 2008, 10:14:43 PM
;D I won!! I won!!!!

Take a look.. Did I pay too much?

Looks like you got an excellent deal!  When it arrives, shoot some good pics for us, eh?

benhutcherson

I agree-looks like a great deal.

Yours is even legal, since it has the sticker where it was purchased from the phone company.

Bill Cahill

;D  Thanks, guys. If I can figure out how to do it with this system, I will. If not, I'll  pm a link to you, Mark.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Bill;
One hell of a deal. It is always nice to see that you can still obtain a bargain in the collecting field. So many speculators have all but ruined collecting in many areas.
Remember when you could go to a thrift store and pick up vintage items for pennies. Now "Thrift Stores", are called "Antiques and Collectibles Shops".

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

Just received an e mail that the phone was mailed today... ;D
Hopefully, I should receive it, maybe sometime next week.
Bill Cahill

mienaichizu

that's one nice deal, usually those WE 500's were sold here in the Philippines for 25 - 35 bucks

Bill Cahill

It came, it came!!!!!
My phone arrived in the mail this morning, safe, and, sound, in spite of not great packing.
Let's tell you this.
This phone has seen alot of use by, I would say a woman.
There are many fine scratcehds in the case. Especially where the receiver was picked up.  Sadly, this inclues behind the dial. Alot or round scratches, including in number pad. The paint on inside holes of metal rotary dial is worn down to the metal. Now, I know why I got it so cheap.
Dial mechanism is very gummy. At first, it didn't want to turn at alll.
This thing is filthy.
Here are some pictures......
Bill Cahill

bingster

I still think it's a nice one, Bill.  It should clean up just fine without too much trouble.  Interesting that the dial is worn that way.  I've seen paint loss around the holes before, but those are scraped so clean, it seems like it's from a dialer or something being used. But paint loss is common in the holes, and the rest of the paint looks nice, so I wouldn't worry too much about any of it.   It's definitely a keeper.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Many people including myself have used a pen or pencil to dial the phone.
Apparently this little secretary was actually busy working....

D/P

Mark Stevens

Bingster is right.  Just a little TLC and you've got a great phone!  I've always wondered about that sort of wear on finger wheels. I've got a couple of project phones right now that look just like yours... as if someone took some fine emery cloth to the holes! 
Which brings me to a question:  Anyone got a system for refinishing finger wheels?  I don't have a professional spray rig, and I've tried Krylon and Rustoleum, with results that were mediocre at best.  What does everyone else do with these things?!  I'm not as picky as many folk when it comes to refurbishing phones...a little honest wear is OK with me.  But those hogged-out finger wheels look like crap!  :-[

Dan/Panther

Mark;
I don't know if they make them for all dials, but I found this link provided by BDM, has dial parts up the ying yang.

What exactly is your Ying Yang, or exactly up one what ?

D/P

Bill Cahill

Perhaps a little magic marker?
I have main case nearly finnished. Got most of the scratches out, and, it looks like new...
I'll post a pic. when finnished.
Bill Cahilll

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Bill Cahill on September 25, 2008, 02:47:32 PM
Perhaps a little magic marker?
I have main case nearly finished. Got most of the scratches out, and, it looks like new...
I'll post a pic. when finished.
Bill Cahilll

Bill Cahill, man of action....  go Bill!   ;D