News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mystery Candlestick Phone

Started by DARK FATHER, October 14, 2010, 03:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DARK FATHER

I bought this off Ebay just recently and when I first bought it I thought it was antique.  Then after bidding I began to have doubts as to its age.  But it arrived in the mail today and now I am back to my original assessment.  It is brass in construction (and heavy)with some laquer to keep the brass shiny (tarnish is showing anyway). It has a mini network installed in it similar to the one I recently installed in my WE 202 and no ringer.  The dial looks old and the mouthpiece and receiver look old.  It has MADE IN ENGLAND on the bottom.  I installed a new modular plug on it and when I call out I can hear the other person fairly well, but they can barely hear me. Is this a well-made reproduction or some weird older no-name brand?

< edit - off site (photobucket) images not accessible - 11-03-21 >

rdelius

I believe it is mostly  old and of British design. I think the base and possibly the stem are replacements.A photo of the back of the cup and rec would help.Phoneco sold lots of those. The rusty parts would sometimes be replaced with replacement brass parts
Robby

Russ Kirk

It might be an English GPO Candlestick..

This is an excellent site for English telephones.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/candle1.htm

Here is a photo of my two English GPO Candlesticks.

Russ..

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Jim Stettler

In the 70's-80's their were companies making candlesticks out of a combination of new and old parts. Some of these have enough old parts to justify taking them original.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

DARK FATHER

Perhaps this is a GPO.  It has a worn dial card with what possibly was the word "CHESTER" and "Londone England".  I gave it to my wife and she loves it!  Someone wired this using the modern mini network and did not insulate it from shorting out against the bottom plate that it sits upon.  I will do this to it next.  It is not to be plugged in until then.

Russ Kirk

Here is a file showing the London exchanges around 1916. This might help. I think I might have more data, but I have to find it.....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI