News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I just bought this. Am I crazy? (I think I may be)

Started by LarryInMichigan, February 06, 2010, 08:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Thank you everyone.  Unfortunately, I cannot find any 'before' pictures, but imagine the phone, much dirtier, with an ugly lamp post sticking out of the middle of the top of the handset (not a pleasant picture).  I still have the original handset with the hole though it if anyone is interested.  I used the caps from the original handset with this one because they were in excellent condition.  I tried to match the paint to the original, but the original paint is more brownish than the new.  I like the new paint better than the original, and it seems to match the base cover better.  The paint I used is Ace Hardware brand enamel spray paint, "Navajo White" color.  I brought the original handset with me to an Ace store with a large spray paint selection and compared it to the caps of every can which looked similar, and the Ace Navajo White was the closest I could find.

I have no idea how well the paint will hold up.  I probably won't be using the phone much anyway because I don't want to chip any of the gold off of the cradle.

The phone originally cost me about $35 with shipping.

Larry

baldopeacock

It does look great.   Quite a few of the Imperials had painted handsets anyway.   I think the paint will hold up pretty well for you.

bingster

That wound up being a beautiful example, Larry.  The Imperial is probably the best looking 202 variation, in my opinion.
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jim S. on October 14, 2010, 08:51:21 PM
That is an astounding transformation.
That painted handset sure looks like plastic from here.

Jim
Jim...I second that. I thought it was a thermoplastic handset. I had to go back and look again when reading your reply. It looks so good, I totally missed the seams. Larry....outstanding job!
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

The handset is solid bakelite and so was the original, which was also painted.  The paint job actually looks better in the picture than in person, but it still looks better than I expected.  I did do some sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper and polishing with plastic polish to remove some of the bumps and runs and orange peel surface.

Larry

HarrySmith

WOW! Very nice ;D
Yes, do you have a before photo, I either missed the original post or forgot what it looked like.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

It certainly looks excellent, to me.   Great work!!

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kidphone on October 15, 2010, 08:16:22 AM
Quote from: Jim S. on October 14, 2010, 08:51:21 PM
That is an astounding transformation.
That painted handset sure looks like plastic from here.

Jim
Jim...I second that. I thought it was a thermoplastic handset. I had to go back and look again when reading your reply. It looks so good, I totally missed the seams. Larry....outstanding job!

I went back and re-looked at the photo when I was reading about painting a F1and trying to match Paint. I also checked to see If "I then Found a plastic F1"

If you are going to paint a handset for an Imperial, I favor this color.

JMO,
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

QuoteDo you Still need  a plunger?

I could probably use a real plunger (the phone type, not the plumbing type).  The one that is in the phone now (please don't tell anyone) is from a repro phone.  It mostly fits, but isn't quite right.

Larry