News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 183 finger wheel removal

Started by sjt1803, January 27, 2014, 03:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjt1803

I've read a few posts up here on how to get it off. Just having no success.
I can't see under the wheel since there is a blank white paper cover in place.
There was conflicting information on how to get it off.
Some said put a paperclip in the hole with a bend and push toward the center and rotate past stop
Others said straight and angle toward the #6
Does it click, is there only one spot that will release it.
One document said if it doesn't release rotate the dial fully then insert clip and turn...that didn't work either.

Possibly if I could see what the wheel looks like off might help.

stub

sjt1803,
            Welcome to the Forum!!   You might have a fingerwheel that has one screw under the stick on dial card.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

sjt1803

I wish it was that setup. It has a small hole in the top by 5 &6
So one assumes it's got a latch. But I can't get it to release.
Was hoping there is a method that works 100% to get it off.

Steve

stub

sjt1803,
             Hope this helps . This is from the TCI Library- http://tinyurl.com/macyv8o    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

sjt1803

I have that document. The drawing is not clear.
Of course I don't have the "official" tool but have been trying to use a paperclip and following the procedure.
Was hoping someone on here has a photo with the finger wheel off so I can see the arrangement.
It would help in trying to release the latch to know what it looks like.

Steve

Contempra

Quote from: sjt1803 on January 27, 2014, 07:52:05 PM
I have that document. The drawing is not clear.
Of course I don't have the "official" tool but have been trying to use a paperclip and following the procedure.
Was hoping someone on here has a photo with the finger wheel off so I can see the arrangement.
It would help in trying to release the latch to know what it looks like.

Steve

in your post you said " there's a small hole... ) put a pin Inside this hole, press down the pin and you'll hear a very small " clic " turn the finger Wheel clockwise...lift up the fingerwheel... that's all.

Otherwise, if you have just the screw in the middle of the fingerwheel, just unscrew it.....

stub

Steve,
          I use taxidermy pins , larger and bigger in dia. that str. pins, to remove this type of finger wheel. Try to angle in between the metal tab and the plastic , like pic 10 and then rotate clockwise pass 0 and it should release the fingerwheel. To replace put fingerwheel in this position, pic 14 , hold down and rotate counter clockwise till you hear click and your done. Sometimes they are a pill to get off , just keep at it and you'll get it. Hope this helps. stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

sjt1803

Thanks for the photos!
I did get it off.

The problem is two fold. First, the hole lines up on the edge of the lock, on the back side (why there is text about inserting a clip on an angle.
Second, you need something fairly strong to bend that spring steel (lock) to release it.
I'm adding a photo to help others.

I've been told if you use a .03 pin you will be able to push it down to release it.

In the drawing, the red blocks represent the end of the spring lock that must be released.

ka1axy

If pushing down fails to work, there appears to be enough slop in the dial mechanism, that sneaking a bent paperclip in, under the dial and over the inner lip of the digit plate will allow you to push the spring toward the center of the dial, releasing the dial. This is done after rotating the dial past zero.

I have done this twice, after failing to achieve a release by pushing down.