News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Getting receiver spacer on handset without removing receiver cap?

Started by Bridie, April 01, 2014, 12:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Bridie

Here is a photo showing the handset parts. The receiver cap is stuck to the handset. The transmitter is unattached, including the spitcup, spacer and metal inside.  I can't get the spitcup off the metal either, but that's okay as the spitcup is badly cracked and I can just snap it off and replace it.
Bridget

Bridie

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 01, 2014, 06:47:23 PM
The spacers are threaded too, so there is no such thing as "slipping them on".  Just threading them on, but do show what you are asking visually.  I too am confused as the question.

I was hoping I might've been able to just slip it on instead of having to thread it :(  I guess the last thing I can try is two good quality strap wrenches. I have one but it's a piece of crap I doubt would even open a jar.  Thanks for all the responses, guys, I really appreciate it.
Bridget

Phonesrfun

You might get by with one strap wrench and using the handle of the handset for leverage.  However, what would be more likely is that the receiver would unscrew and then you would still be left with trying to free the receiver cap from the receiver metal body and still need a second strap wrench.

Home Depot has small strap wrenches but they don't have a coating of rubber, so they don't grab as well as some.  I bought one from Amazon not long ago.  Someone either in this forum or in the TCI or ATCA listserve was talking about it.  It is made by Zyliss and here is a link.  I think they are $23 each.

Here is a link to it.

http://tinyurl.com/pluv4lo

-Bill G

poplar1

If you are able to remove the entire receiver assembly, it isn't necessary to remove the Bakelite cap unless the diaphragm is bent or missing.

The Zyliss worked fine on a few E-1s, but the first F1 with plastic caps was too much for it. The strap broke loose where it was attached and, as they say, there are no "user serviceable parts."

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

You probably don't want to break the transmitter spit cup any further as they are difficult to replace.  Once you manage to unscrew it, you should give it a good cleaning, removing the dirt from the threads, and then carefully glue the crack closed with super glue.

Larry