News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Comparing Notes... the difference between WE and ITT in a 20 button set

Started by Babybearjs, January 10, 2019, 11:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

:) well for those of you who watch me learn.... I'm at it again! today I got a WE2833BM 20 Button phone set. I promptly took it apart and  Dissected  the individual parts... After pulling apart an ITT 2830 and seeing what made it tick... I was amazed at the similarities that this one had to the ITT model. upon opening it up I found the amplifier and the privacy board. the other phone didn't have these and are going to get used, if possible. the ringer is a speaker, whereas the ITT phone uses an Actual bell.. since this feature is installed, I'm assuming there will be "Hands Free" audio... but am not sure... I was hoping that the bases would be identical and swapping out parts could be done easily... no chance... different design...totally! the terminal blocks are almost the same... minus 8 terminals... the privacy board prevents that from happening. if it wasn't installed, I probably could swap out the terminal board... having the amplifier installed is a nice feature... I hope it can get hooked up right. as for the 508 plugs... wow, totally different approach. ITT uses a common buss bar for the T/R wires where WE splices them all together and then dips them, in wax to insulate them.. WE also chooses to attach the 508 plugs directly to the cord set where ITT terminates them onto a amphenol plug.  the lamp common and the blue wire are also all tied together and dipped in wax (black and blue are separate) I cut the cord on mine about 18 inches out to allow for enough slack when reterminating the connections. I'm replacing the original cords with several RJ45 cords to make it compatible with my system. I took 2 of the brass shuntings off of the ITT phone and am using them on the WE phone for a common ground option. I may not need it, but the shunts fit on both terminal strips, so we'll try it. the big difference I noticed was the "recall" key. on the ITT phone its a separate button.. on the WE phone, its one of the station keys. I really like that feature because there is nothing mounted to the faceplate, so removing it is real easy... with the ITT phone you ran the risk of breaking a wire when opening up the chassis. as for the network, I like the WE design better. the ITT networks all have exposed components that are subject to breakage and the spade terminals are cheap. the WE network uses screws and all the components are hidden.  That's a big plus because WE has better quality (or did) it interesting to see the difference between makes and models and being able to learn how to rewire a large phone. I added a receiver cord to my unit to add a rotary adjunct dial for my intercom system.  :D  here are some pictures of what I'm doing....
John

Key2871

If my memory serves me correct, that WE set is actually a comkey set, not actually a 1A2, close but not the same.
So that's why things are a bit different.
I have to pull out my manual to be sure but the metal wood grain faceplate was the giveaway as it being comkey.

ITT Always used common buss strips for LG,Tip and Ring. Where WE didn't but used punch blocks or just connected Spade leads together in the set. The common board between the dial mounts looks different from regular WE sets. I don't know for sure, again I have to go to my manuals.
I see someone got crazy with scotchloks inside for common ties, also not typical WE practice.
KEN

Babybearjs

The scotchloks were given to me by my neighbor who used to do telephone work. his Dad passed away 2 years ago and they were both electronic horders. I had cut the original splices to untangle the mess... now, having to go back redo the connections. I'm half way there.... on the second key strip half way into splicing... I am totally surprised, I can actually get 4 wires in each scotchlok... I'm hoping this one works out better then using those barrier strips... man that was a mess... hey, but it worked! hope this does too!
John