News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage OKI desk phone NE Atlanta GA

Started by 19and41, May 03, 2016, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/5559594552.html  ( dead link 04-21-21 )

(not mine)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jack Ryan

If I were a bit closer I'd buy it.

The dial is OKI but I think the phone is more likely Siemens & Halske or Fuji Electric Co.

Jack

19and41

Me too, I thought I'd put it up for anyone that would think they needed it.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Matilo Telephones

Why would the body not be OKI? Didn't OKI build these too?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on May 04, 2016, 03:21:24 AM
Why would the body not be OKI? Didn't OKI build these too?

Did they?

I haven't seen one and their history doesn't mention S&H as a source. S&H helped form Fuji and by that time, OKI was well established.

If the phone became an official post item and was manufactured by manufacturers other than the designer or official licencee then yes. But I don't know if that happened.

Jack

LarryInMichigan

We have at least one member in the Atlanta area.  For $15, it looks like a deal.  I bought something similar a few years ago: forum link.

Larry

rdelius

Fuji+Seimons= Fusi now Fujitsu.I think some parts on these sets were farmed out to other companies such as dials or transmitters. Have a stick with an NEC decal but dial is an OKI and the transmitter is a Toa.NEC was WEs Japanese affiliate.Toa still builds audio gear

19and41

I live near it.  Last night a woodland creature broke into my crawlspace in order to die.  After doing so, it wouldn't leave and it hid.  and died.  and began to emit horrible house filling smells.  I had to pay a wildlife extraction artist  to remove it.  It was an opposum and it cost me just about $300.00.  I will not be getting any phones for a bit.   :o
— Arthur C. Clarke

PhilFone

Greetings - I'm a new member. Thank you for adding me and I will introduce myself later, but to at least give some background...
I'm not a big collector of phones - I have maybe 10, four are rotary, the rest are pushbutton Princess types and one wireless that operate on the 2.4Ghz band. I like to use the phones with a cable modem; currently not doing that, but will be soon again.

Anyway-  I acquired this OKI  phone from a gentleman, two years ago...met him near downtown Roswell. Until a few days ago, I didn't attempt to fix the one thing it needed- a sticky, non-working dialer. It would not return to its normal position after selectiing any number.
Taking it apart, thinking I could repair it has become a nightmare. At this stage, I don't think I can repair the dial, since there are many metal membranes that have (sorry to say) fallen out of stacked order. I do have the schematic, but I'm not skilled in interpreting it. My question goes out to anyone who has worked on a phone like this: If the dial can be easily turned one way and it is very hard to turn back (return?) on its own, despite cleaning it, is the mechanism kaput? (you can laugh). I have tried to carefully clean this mechanism so that the spring will return the dial to its resting position. But I feel convinced that it cannot be fixed. I will add photos and put my question into a better place for anyone to read and possibly help. On search, I found a link to classicrotaryphones.com and this page. Thanks and stand by for more.

19and41

Take some good photos and start your own thread on your phone and put up some pics.  That will give the more expert something to go on.
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

I think Phil means he bought THIS phone.... so in a way,....it is his thread!

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Those dials can be a real challenge to reassemble, but if all of the parts are still present, it should be doable.  The sluggishness of the dial was most probably a result of dirt and old oil in the mechanisms, and a good spraying with contact cleaner and then some careful oiling could probably have fixed it.  Posting pictures here would be helpful.  There might be a diagram of the dial assembly available somewhere.

Larry

PhilFone

Hi all and thank you for your replies!  I have been fighting a cold and then had some computer maintenance I needed to do, so my apologies for the pause in reply.

19and41 : I have taken many photos; your suggestion was my intent. Thanks!

AE_Collector : Terry...yes,  I did buy it after seeing the ad in my own CL search.

LarryinMichigan: I have all the parts. Boy do I have all the parts...whatever those metal membranes are with prongs and are divided by square, three-hole insulators, that is the biggest mess to imagine repairing. I did take photos before hand, but I doubt I can reassemble that piece based on photos. Also, the dial has been cleaned and it barely turns in one direction. I may still be unaware that it is just still dirty, despite cleaning.

I thought that I would start a thread and see what replies result. I'm handy with taking apart and putting together, but I'm not confident I would understand how to reassemble those stacked, insulated membrane piece with the three black cylndrical pieces that "keep it together". I may need to tape that piece temporarily to work with it..anyway....

I've got many photos, so I'll start a thread. The worst case scenario is..it can be re-assembled with a prop status, instead of a working phone. I don't know much about its age;looking forward to hearing from others.

Thank you all!

rdelius

The easiest fix is buy a #10 dial from Canada or England and move the contact assy  as a unit You might need to move the mtg screws.Japanese theads are different. Hiltz might have the parts or  fix yours

LarryInMichigan

Sending the dial and parts thereof to Steve Hilsz for repair is likely your best option, if he is willing to undertake the task.  You can find him here: http://www.navysalvage.com/.

Larry