News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Question about "restored" phones

Started by MagicMo, May 21, 2013, 10:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

I have a question about restored telephones posted on eBay. What does that actually mean? They cleaned it and put new parts in it? First, let me say I am not minimizing efforts to restore old phones, I just want to try and do one myself. Does restore=original? I know it can be time consuming and I get a few projects started only to be bored half way through. Those are the phones that are in a bit more need of my attention and I try and spread out the love. So needless to say, I have love (parts) all over my basement.

Luckily, most of the phones that I have only need a modest detail... I took apart, brushed off dirt in the inside, cleaned outside with soap and water, put back together, buffed outside to a pretty shine. Is that considered restoring? I have a few phones that just need a smidge of my attention.

So, back to my question. What does restored mean? Is it one if those things that could mean different things to different people?
Thanks
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

HarrySmith

Definetly. You will get as many opinions about "restoration" as there are phones in your basement. You will also get as many opinions about which has better value, "restored" or not.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MagicMo

I figured as much. It probably depends on if this is your life's work or just a hobby. I respect both.
Thanks
Mo

AMCer

I am copyrighting, patenting, and trade marking the term "Restored Phone" so, in order for you to call a phone a "restored phone" you have to buy a license from me. ( I will be introducing a "Genuine Advantage" program in the near future.)

The good part of this new system is that you don't actually have to do ANYTHING to the phone.

The beautiful part of the system is you send me money!

Thanks,
AMCer
Restored Phone (c)(r)(tm)(xyz)

MagicMo

Quote from: AMCer on May 21, 2013, 11:00:47 AM
I am copyrighting, patenting, and trade marking the term "Restored Phone" so, in order for you to call a phone a "restored phone" you have to buy a license from me. ( I will be introducing a "Genuine Advantage" program in the near future.)

The good part of this new system is that you don't actually have to do ANYTHING to the phone.

The beautiful part of the system is you send me money!

Thanks,
AMCer
Restored Phone (c)(r)(tm)(xyz)

Sorry too late. My bumper stickers are printing now!!
Mo

poplar1

My friend Gervais commented on the restoration of City Hall in Rimouski, Québec: There's nothing left but the clock and the front door, but they call it a restoration.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AMCer

HAHA!   BUMPERSTICKERS!  I missed that niche, drat!

Phonesrfun

Ahhh "restoration"  Ask any antique car buff and you will get all kinds of answers.   Same with phones.  I guess it's like "Steampunkt", in that it can mean what ever you want it to.  Nothing defines anything when it comes to "restored", "fully restored", "partially restored".  No standards.  No nothing.  So, if you really want all your phones to look original, and not new, fully restored could mean that you dusted it off.  At least you did something.

:)

-Bill G

JohnInWI

I would consider "restored" to be in working order, and all original (or repaired with correct parts).

LarryInMichigan

Be very careful.  To some people, "restored" means that all of the obsolete old internal parts were replaced with new ones.  The "restoration" of some phones could reduce their collector value by 90%.

I keep seeing listing for vintage radios which have been "restored" by removing all of the guts and turning them into iPod speakers.

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: JohnInWI on May 21, 2013, 12:04:43 PM
I would consider "restored" to be in working order, and all original (or repaired with correct parts).
I certainly agree with this statement. There are two kinds of restorations I do, restorations for me or restorations to sell. I have no problem leaving 4 prongs or to have spaded wires on line cords, but a for sale...everything has a modular cord on it. Whether directly from the phone if one was missing, or terminated on a jack. You want to refurb a for the correct audience. You want to sell a phone that a person can plug in and show. You sell to collectors and you sell to people who want an old phone in their house.

They want them to ring. Do not use warblers or anything that was not originally in the phone. Some phones do not ring without a subset or a ringer, don't ruin it with a repro part.

They want them to dial out, use the correct dial. NO AEs on a WE!

Always use original parts that were on that phone, or phones from that era. Do not mix makers.

DO NOT MIX MAKERS.

Never use "OPW or Phoneco replacement parts. The fake dial cards are the worst, they scream "fake." I never use their new cloth cords. NEVER. Steve Hilsz always has a nice supply of NOS handset cords at a great price.
Buy "parts' phones at yard sales and fleas. Beaters that have useful cords, dials etc. WE parts go on many different era phones. The handset elements are always great to have on hand.

Only repro part I will use are the celluloid dial card covers. They certainly dress up a phone and the originals can ruin a great refurb job.

Don't paint it. Bakelite shines. Thermoplastic will shine. Don't paint it unless its for you and you want a certain color. Never ever paint bakelite.

Just my two cents...Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

To me Reconditioned is put back into working order. As new Restoration, means to me to put back in, original, as new condition. Or as close as is possible, with all original same date part. One in new condition, but without matching parts I would call a Rebuilt.

D/P.

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

G-Man

Doug-

You've covered some great points about restoration, especially about reproduction number cards that scream FAKE! Let me add that I also cringe whenever I see those phony instruction cards on Automatic Electric payphones.

Considering their great animosity with Ma Bell, why on earth would an independent telephone company install an AT&T logo on their payphones? And since when would a 1950's Western Electric payphone sport an 1890's Bell logo?