Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

Lets see those Starlites!!!
Here is my 1969 GTE/AE Starlite
Regards,
-Grayson

Dave F

My three Starlites:

1)  First-generation pink with AC line cord for illuminated rotary dial.

2)  NOS turquoise with 10-button dial.

3)  Blue with rare Star and Diamond dial.

Adam

I no longer have this set, I gave it to the JKL Museum.

It is a GTE Model 182.  I didn't know what it was at the time I bought it from eBay, I was just intrigued by the two lower unmarked buttons.

Turns out the 182 was a pulse only (not even switchable) set made for retail sale.  The two lower unmarked buttons do push down, but as far as I could tell, have no function.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

AE_Collector

Commonly called a "UDK" (Universal Dialing Keypday - IE works on any line as it sends dial pulses) keypad as the number card indicates.

Terry

jsowers

I have a pink one like Dave's (that needs the number card retainer) and a white later model NOS Starlite with the AC adapter on the end and the plastic still on the handset and cord. I also included a shot of the pink one lit. Sorry for the lack of focus on that one, but I find the blue glow very eerie. I think it's called electroluminescent and Chrysler dashboards from the late 50s and early 60s also employed that method of lighting.

I grew up in AE territory and the first Starlite I ever saw was from a distance, but I knew what it was from the ads in the phone book. It was beside the bed of my parents' (and later my) insurance agent and I could see it through the open bedroom door. I considered it quite a luxury item. I also remember seeing one in a teenager's bedroom in a local holiday house tour, installed next to a fainting couch. We never had anything like that at home.
Jonathan

Dan

I don't have any starlites..... I want one but am afraid to open up that branch of collecting--I would have to have all the colors ;D
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

dsk

Never seen a Starlite wall modell with light.
dsk

Willytx

Nice group of phones, Dave.

Now I feel all inferior with only my no-light Starlite. 

Just remember not to use the pink one in the bathtub! You too, Jonathan.

D.S.K. - I like the number only dial on yours.

bingster

Ahhh, they're so pretty when they're glowing.  And if you've never seen an electroluminescent Chrysler dash at night, they're absolutely breathtaking.  Especially on the Imperials.
= DARRIN =

Dave F

Quote from: Willytx on June 23, 2011, 01:27:37 PM
Nice group of phones, Dave. <snip>
Thank you.  I normally restrict my collecting to WE stuff, but these nice Starlites came along separately in the course of collecting, and they were pretty much irresistible.  We all know how that works!

--------------

Some additional info:  Electroluminescent lighting has no filament and won't burn out like a light bulb.  However, it does degrade and dim over time when operated.  So, enjoy your illuminated AE dials, but only for brief periods to preserve and extend their useful life.

Kenny C

Stub1953 restores these electroluminescent dials.   
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

jsowers

Quote from: bingster on June 23, 2011, 04:14:47 PM
Ahhh, they're so pretty when they're glowing.  And if you've never seen an electroluminescent Chrysler dash at night, they're absolutely breathtaking.  Especially on the Imperials.

Here are some great dash pictures...

http://www.bigblockmopar.nl/2010/12/chrysler-electroluminescent-dashboard-lighting/

Alas, my parents opted for the bottom rung Dodge Dart in 1960, so I never got to see one of these dashboards in person. Some of them are stepped front to back and remind me of the Hollywood Bowl (see the picture on the right in the above link).

And Willy, no chance of my using one in the tub. I only have a shower. And no phone jack in the bathroom. I helped design my house and ran my own phone wiring, so that was all on purpose. My two Starlites are on shelves in my dining area--not plugged in to save the glow and not sitting in the sun so the dial face doesn't fade to brown. And somehow I've resisted the urge to get every single color.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Here are my Starlites.  I never really decided to collect them, I just picked them up along the way.   You know how that goes.  The one that I have that is electroluminescent I believe is NOS.  The spade tips have never been disturbed at the mounting cord so I don't think it was ever connected.  The connecting block was included with the phone.  When I got it (eBay) it worked fine.  I just plugged it in to take a picture of the lighted dial and it won't light.  So something happened while it was sitting in the box.  There is a small dial wheel in the front that moves from left to right and it.  I believe that is like a rheostat used for increasing and decreasing the brightness of the glowing dial.

AE_Collector

Dennis:

It looks like you are pretty close to having all of the original Starlite colors. I think Black was available pretty much from the beginning and possibly Sand Beige as well (you have Classic Ivory). Espresso Brown is a new color and Avocado Green is available as a new color as well.

You should have more than one of them that have illuminating dials. Looking at the group shot I would think that the White, Ivory, Turquoise and Blue ones have the correct dials even if not the other parts (due to refurbs).

Terry

JorgeAmely

Dennis, Terry:

Stub knows how to fix those Starlites.
Jorge