News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Seven Phones Of Chrismas

Started by winkydink, December 16, 2011, 08:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

For the past few months I have been asking various questions to members of the forum as I have been trying to restore some WE 302 phones for Christmas presents.

Since none of the people I am giving phones to, are members of this forum or are "phone people" (yet), I feel safe posting the results of my labor and the forums help.

It started with an idea in the summer to give out phones for Christmas.  Throughout the summer I started bidding on phone on ebay.  The phones I won had various surprises (both good and bad).   Such as rust, dial gastkets that had turned to tar and goo, cardboard dial plates, A model 304 phone and (forget the model number) a 302 that had a knob on the lower left corner of the phone.

My restoration started labor day weekend, and I wanted to finish by Thanksgiving.  With 6 phones (eventually 7) I needed to finish a phone every 2 weeks.  It was touch and go at times, but I did meet the Thanksgiving deadline.

The phones are packed, wrapped and ready to go, but here are some pictures.

Thanks to everyone who lent some advice over the past few months.

HarrySmith

Very nice! They all look great!
I hope the recipients appreciate them ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

McHeath

Gee well done indeed!  Looks like you replaced cords on many of them to boot.  Are they all plastic or are any metal?  Wasn't there one with a knob on the lower left corner?  I don't see that one. 

Great work.

winkydink

Quote from: McHeath on December 16, 2011, 10:06:27 AM
 Wasn't there one with a knob on the lower left corner?  I don't see that one.  

Great work.

I decided not to "gift" that one away.  I kept it since it was unique.

All the shells were plastic.  The oldest phone in the lot was 1946, the newest was from 1951.  The 1951 model did not have suede feet but plastic feet rivioted on.  Also one of the 2 bells looks like it was not brass.  Perhaps that was a "war" phone (Korean War). ?

Just4Phones

Did anyone else notice the Beatles characters on the shelf?  I had these when I was a kid in the 60's and my sister cut off all their hair when we had a fight >:(  They are worth some dough now.  Joel