News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Correct wiring to make my phone ring

Started by swelland, November 11, 2014, 08:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swelland

Hi. I am new here. I hoped sombody might be able to help me with my phone. When I first got the phone, we had service from Cable. The phone would get dial tone, and incoming calls. The bell would ring, but the phone would not call out. I bought a tone converter, but then switched to local Century Link. The engineer told me that it was a traditional system. Now, the phone receives incoming calls, and will call out, but the bell does not ring. I tried to see what could be done, and found that It could be as simple as switching wires, but there are a lot of them,  so any help would be great.  The phone is a Automatic Electric Model N8 00 CSL as best as I can make out.

LarryInMichigan

If it rang with your previous phone service provider, and no wiring changes have been made, then it could be that the new one is not providing enough current to make the ringer work.  If you ring the line while the phone is connected and open (the hook switch can be pushed down all the way to stay "on-hook"), does the ringer clapper move at all?

Larry

swelland

Thank you for yoir fast reply no movement at all when I call it

Phonesrfun

Century Link is a traditional Baby Bell, so the phone should ring well, unless the phone is set up for bridged ringing and you are on a party line, which would be unusual.  I don't think anyone offers party lines any more.  The cable modem would have sent ringing current across the line, which is called bridged ringing. 
-Bill G

swelland

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 11, 2014, 09:07:17 PM
Century Link is a traditional Baby Bell, so the phone should ring well, unless the phone is set up for bridged ringing and you are on a party line, which would be unusual.  I don't think anyone offers party lines any more.  The cable modem would have sent ringing current across the line, which is called bridged ringing. 
Thanks.how would I know if the phone is set up that way? I found some information on this site of somebody who had a similar phone, and problem, but seemed to me to have less wires. they only had to change the position of one red wire,but I have wires that were not in the pictures of their phone. Thanks for the input.  Shaun

Phonesrfun

The lighting of your pictures is hard to tell where all the wires are on yours.  Stub or Terry might be better at AE80's than I, but here is how an earlier AE80 with the potted network should be wired as far as the line cord and the ringer are concerned:

Line cord:

A modular line cord usually has four conductors.  Red, Green, Yellow and Black.  Red and green are all that are used on today's non party lines.  Black was always an extra wire and is totally not needed. The line cord is wired as follows:

• Red to terminal 10 (L1) on the network
  • Green to terminal 8 (L2) on the network
  • Yellow (Not used for anything, but usually wired to terminal 9 on the network)
  • If you have a black line cord wire, you should tape the end of it and just leave it loose, and keep it from dangling out the bottom of the phone when you close it up.

Ringer and ringer capacitor wires:

• Ringer Red to terminal 15
  • Ringer Green to terminal 16
  • Ringer capacitor white also to terminal 16
  • Ringer capacitor black to terminal 7

Some of the wire connections are under the edge of the dial shroud.  The dial just snaps out real easily.  Press down and you will feel the springiness of the spring that holds it in place in its locked position.  Just press down and slide it out of its locked position.  Reverse the process to put the dial back on.

-Bill G

stub

swelland,
               If you have a volt meter place one probe on network 10 (L-1) and the other on network 8 (L-2)with the phone on hook ,set meter to  100 volts AC and call it from your cell. You should have 75 to 90 volts AC. Try and remove your dial and see what the numbers are on your network ( D-38362-A ) If your voltage is good check network 9 for red ringer wire and move it to network 8.  hope this helps .  stub

Here's a diagram for one of the early AE 80's-                 

left click on pic to enlarge
Kenneth Stubblefield

swelland

Great that gives me lots to try will let you know how I make out, Thanks Shaun

swelland

Yes she lives :) I had to switch the following.
Handset
Green 10 to 8
Red 8 to 10
Yellow left in place

Ringer
Red 9 to 15
Green 6 to 16
Black 15 to 7
I wonder how it rang with Time Warner, but great thank you all so much.
Shaun

Phonesrfun

Quote from: swelland on November 12, 2014, 09:22:44 AM
Shaun

Often times we just need to take the successes as they come.  :)  Yes, that is puzzling, but at least you have it working now.

I hope you stay around and continue to chime in.
-Bill G

swelland

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 12, 2014, 03:24:15 PM
Quote from: swelland on November 12, 2014, 09:22:44 AM
Shaun

Often times we just need to take the successes as they come.  :)  Yes, that is puzzling, but at least you have it working now.

I hope you stay around and continue to chime in.
Oh yes will do going to look for a extention bell so I can hear the phone when outside.  Thanks again