News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

a cardboard box!

Started by Butch Harlow, September 17, 2017, 06:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Harlow

No phone, damage to the box and scribbles all over it. Sure, 88.00 seems reasonable.

VINTAGE-50s-BELL-SYSTEM-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-TELEPHONE-ORIGINAL-PHONE-BOX
Butch Harlow

AL_as_needed

It's even an early version of brown paper board too! FOTM for who ever takes that gem home  ;D
TWinbrook7

skyrider

You have to wonder how many millions of these boxes went into the dumpster back in the day.

Bill

LarryInMichigan

I have a box like that but without the scribbles.  I might be willing to let it go for only $80 ;-).

Larry

TelePlay

Everything is collected by somebody. Only problem with this is the shipping cost alone being $6.50 more than the worth of the box.

Rupert Blanchard -- Designer/Maker, London/Margate:  "i had a couple of spare hours in a studio a while ago so i loaded up as much of my cardboard box collection that would fit into my van and headed to the room where Agnes Lloyd-Platt was waiting to take a photo for me. After unloading all of the boxes and carefully stacking them up, Agnes took one shot to start framing and lighting the picture but the wall started to wobble, slowly moving forwards and in a huge plume of dust and with a muffled crash the entire wall collapsed. Without time to start again the boxes were loaded back into the van to try again another day, hopefully i'll stack them to the ceiling next time to hide the window."

LarryInMichigan

I sure hope that people who collect cardboard boxes do not also collect matches.

Larry

jsowers

I'm sure lots of us remember when Coke and Pepsi 2-liter bottles came in cardboard boxes. They sure don't any more. Those old boxes make great storage boxes with their handles on each side and some even have a cardboard partition in the center. I have glass Christmas ornaments packed in them. I learned long ago to never put them in a box with a lid because it can easily crush and break them. Yes, it happened to me once, but not again. I put lots of tissue in the top to keep out the dust.

My mom used to cover those boxes with contact paper and use them when we went on vacation. We took everything but the kitchen sink and the Ford station wagon was packed full.

Those boxes in that picture are interesting to see. In case anyone doesn't realize, they are cartons that products were shipped in and not the containers of the products, which are more colorful. The boxes are a little more subdued. And in the case of the box that's the subject of this thread, the black 500 set that came in it could be had for a whole lot less, even an NOS one.
Jonathan

Russ Kirk

This thread reminds me of the time I bought this cardboard box for $20. Found it at a phone show.  Never thought I would find the box to go with by toy payphone.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

AL_as_needed

Russ,

Thats a neat little toy phone, how old is it? I like how it is advertised as being all steel... the good old days.   :D
TWinbrook7

Russ Kirk

Quote from: AL_as_needed on September 18, 2017, 08:56:41 PM
Russ,

Thats a neat little toy phone, how old is it? I like how it is advertised as being all steel... the good old days.   :D

I think it is from the 1940's to 1950's.  Dennis Marham wrote about these.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/2008/05/27/speedphone-toy-bank/#more-38

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Pourme

I have a small desk top version, but that pay phone with the box is the coolest toy phone I have ever seen!...Nice!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service