News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's different about a 500 L/M?

Started by Greg G., November 26, 2013, 10:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Anything significantly different about these?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

poplar1

500L manual, 500M dial. They are factory wired for A-lead control. Set is used behind 1A1 or 1A2 Key Systems.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

To go one step further, these were usually connected to a wall or desk mounted key strip with buttons for various lines and a hold button.  Without the A-Lead control, picking up a line that was on hold would not release the hold.   

If you have one, you can wire it for regular use by connecting the ringer as in a standard 500 C/D.  The L/M might have the ringer wired for common audible ringing on a separate pair of wires in the line cord.
-Bill G

paul-f

For more background and wiring info:

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#500M

...and look for the BSPs in the chart.  Or...

Go to the TCI Library and search for 500L.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Contempra

Quote from: poplar1 on November 26, 2013, 10:51:44 PM
500L manual, 500M dial. They are factory wired for A-lead control. Set is used behind 1A1 or 1A2 Key Systems.

Quelle est la différence entre les deux ?,

500M

500L

twocvbloke

Quote from: Contempra on November 27, 2013, 09:12:29 AMQuelle est la différence entre les deux ?,

500M

500L

The 500L has no dial,  and the 500M has a dial... :)

Contempra

poplar1

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 27, 2013, 12:11:50 AM
To go one step further, these were usually connected to a wall or desk mounted key strip with buttons for various lines and a hold button.  Without the A-Lead control, picking up a line that was on hold would not release the hold.   

If you have one, you can wire it for regular use by connecting the ringer as in a standard 500 C/D.  The L/M might have the ringer wired for common audible ringing on a separate pair of wires in the line cord.

True that the wall phones were used with separately mounted keys (6041 for example) before the introduction of the self-contained 851 sets. I don't recall seeing a 500M desk phone with a separately mounted key strip, although it's possible; more likely they would have just ordered a 564 or 565 set if they wanted multiple lines for a desk phone. More likely that a 500M was used where a user needed only one line, but that line also appeared on other multi-line sets. A secretary might have a Call Director with up to 29 lines but other users in same office might have 6-button sets or 500M single line sets.

WesternElectricBen

Just reading though this thread, I never knew the difference. I assume it would be a "bear" getting one of those boxes hooked up in it.

Though, a nice 500 on a KSU would be cool.

Ben

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 27, 2013, 11:45:17 AM
Just reading though this thread, I never knew the difference. I assume it would be a "bear" getting one of those boxes hooked up in it.

Though, a nice 500 on a KSU would be cool.

Ben

Not at all difficult: just 3 pairs: Tip, Ring for the talk circuit, A and A1 for relay control, and one pair for the ringer circuit.

Phonesrfun

Dang..., I know I've seen pictures of a separate 500 with the desk-mounted key strip, However, the only actual recollection I have of the key strips do involve wall mounted phones.

In one company I worked for a long time ago, there was a manual (non-dial) desk set out in the shop that could be answered after a call had already been placed on hold.  It was likely a 500L. 
-Bill G