News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring a 202 to a 685A subset

Started by Sargeguy, January 25, 2009, 08:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have the 202 with E1 handset.  I have the 685A (edit, sorry) subset.  I have the 4-conductor handset cord and the 6 conductor subset cord.  I have the wiring diagram.  Where the heck is (Y) and (YY)???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

L2 is normally also Y.  Does your subset have the long 146 coil with wood blocks on the ends, or the little 101 coil like in a 302?

Incidentally, you only need four conductors in the cord.  Tape the other two with electrical tape so they don't contact anything.  Where do all the wires connect inside the phone?
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

It's a 685A, it has a 425E network like a 500.  Here is the diagram I am using:
http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/202-685x.pdf
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Perry

You might want to check out this thread, where I got some help hooking up my 202/684 set:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=354.0

Sargeguy

Thanks, but I already know how to hook up a 684A, I am trying a 685A. I think I figured it out.  The YY comes from the BK on the handset and attaches to "2" on the terminal block.  The "Y" comes from "Y" on the dial and attaches to "2" as well?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

Ohhhhh... sorry, I misread that.  Give me a minute and I can retrieve the guide that winkydink sent me regarding how his 202 is hooked up to a 685.  It'll also require a few modifications inside the phone base.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

I actually miswrote it as 684 when i meant 685.  I get them confused, which is how I ended up with the 685A in the first place.  Stupid 685A subset. >:(
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

Arghhh... I can't find the description of the connections.  However, here's the original post which brought it up.  As you can see in the photos (and in the diagram you're following), the black wires of the handset and mounting cord are connected directly together, as are the red wires of both cords.  Neither is connected to the dial.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=223.msg1816#msg1816

I'll keep looking for the guide to doing this.  I know I've got it somewhere, and he made it really clear. 

Winkydink, if you still have that e-mail you sent me, could you post it, please?  I took your subset photo and added numbers to the terminals to make it even easier to hook up the wires.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I'm paying close attention to this.  I just bought a 685A subset (sight unseen) that is supposed to be "New Old Stock" that a collector offered for sale on the ATCA list.  The price sounded good so I jumped on it.  I'm going to want to connect to one of my D1's (202's) so all of this will help me do that.  Thanks.

winkydink

Quote from: bingster on January 25, 2009, 09:41:42 PM
Arghhh... I can't find the description of the connections.  However, here's the original post which brought it up.  As you can see in the photos (and in the diagram you're following), the black wires of the handset and mounting cord are connected directly together, as are the red wires of both cords.  Neither is connected to the dial.

I'll keep looking for the guide to doing this.  I know I've got it somewhere, and he made it really clear. 

Winkydink, if you still have that e-mail you sent me, could you post it, please?  I took your subset photo and added numbers to the terminals to make it even easier to hook up the wires.

Hi SargeGuy,

I just saw this thread a few minutes ago.  I do have a 685A hooked up to a 202 (it was actually hooked up for me when I purchased the phone, so I can take no credit, other than actually owning the phone and subset).   Here is the email I sent to Bingster.  I also have a hand drawn diagram that I can scan in and post.  However, I am not going to be home until after 6pm today so that diagram will need to wait until then.

-WD

Quote from: WinkyDink

I do have a wiring diagram I made up and will try to describe in the text of this email.

Please refer to my post for pictures of the subset for now

I will use the orientation that the photo has.  Here is the layout

Bell                 Upper Panel

Side Panel    <--- Incoming wires

Bell                  Solenoid ?

Using the orientation of the photo let us identify the screws of the upper panel

1    2                    3    4
        5    6          7        8    9
       10  11        12      13   14
       15  16   17 18             19

For the side panel

21      22
       23      24
       25      26
       27      28
       29      30

31  32

Here is the wiring:

The large wire from the phone to the subset has 6 wires.  They connect as follows:

Red: #4
Black: #9
Green: #14
Blue: #23
White:  #31
Yellow:  #29

Wire from subset to wall has 2 wires.  They connect as follows:

Red:  #30
Green:  #28

Wire that connect within the subset are as follows:

Brown/yellow Stripe:  #15 to #21
White:  #18 to #27
Grey/Blue:  #19 to #23

In addition there are also 3 wires coming off the solenoid red black and grey.

There are also wires coming off the blocks that I cannot easily trace

Grey Wire:  #16 to Solenoid or #21 ??
Grey Wire:  #21 to Solenoid or #16 ??
Red Wire:  #29 to Solenoid ??
Black Wire:  #27 to Solenoid ??

Also there are letters by some of the posts of the side panel block

K == #25
L1 == #27
L2 == #29
G == #31

I will send photos later.  I hope some of this helps.

Thanks

bingster

Thanks, winkydink.  Here's the subset with number labels that I made to help hook things up easily.  Click it for the enlargement:
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Thank you for the help.  Unfortunately the project has been canceled due to a tragic accident:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The wires at the end of the subset cord were too short to reach around the circumference of the 202's housing.  While trying to manipulate the cords, the 202 slipped out of my grasp and landed with a thud on the carpet.  I was stunned with horror when I saw the result.  Luckily the 4H dial was unharmed.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

BDM

WHAT? What happened ??? EDIT: I missed your second post just above. Ouch! Well, E1 handsets aren't exactly rare. But they can get pricey. Man, I've never seen one do that. I've dropped them in the past without tragic results. But, it is bakelite. I did drop and take a chunk out of an F1 handset once. That was sad also, as it was one of the early solid handle F1 handsets :P
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Steve

Are you trying to make us cry? you cant post a photo like that without a warning.

sorry to hear you got slowed down :(

are you going to look for another E-1 handset, or use an F-1 to replace it??

that really is a bummer. you have my condolences.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.