"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fixing a cracked shell

Started by Teletypejoe, February 02, 2011, 12:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teletypejoe

Hi,

This is my first post. I have a moss green 500 that was given to me that is in need of cleaning and polishing. The front of it is cracked through, but the crack is 'tight' if you know what I mean. What would be the ideal way to fix it? Is there a slovent glue that I can use or should I use a cyano-acrylic or even epoxy?

Thank you in advance!

Joe

Kenny C

I use plain old super glue. It melts the plastic back together. I apply it liberaly and sand it down with 2000 grit sand paper and polish with Novus#2
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stopthemachine

Glad someone asked this question--what brand of super glue works best?  I have a WE 10-digit Trimline with a hairline, tight crack on the top of the handset.  I've been meaning to do something with it, but haven't gotten around to it.  Over the years, it seems like the crack has gotten a bit longer, and I don't want it to get worse or break apart.  Thanks.

HarrySmith

From my experience all "super glue" brands seem to be the same. Cyanoacrylate is the ingredient they all use. I use a 2 part epoxy as it gives me a chance to align things as it does not bond instantly. Kenny has a thread about using superglue and some powdered plastic from the phone. I use the same basic procedure with the epoxy. On a 500 I get the plastic from the switch boss inside the front of the phone. If I recall correctly the thread on the Blue 302 had some nice details about crack repair.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

stopthemachine

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 02, 2011, 07:52:08 AM
From my experience all "super glue" brands seem to be the same. Cyanoacrylate is the ingredient they all use. I use a 2 part epoxy as it gives me a chance to align things as it does not bond instantly. Kenny has a thread about using superglue and some powdered plastic from the phone. I use the same basic procedure with the epoxy. On a 500 I get the plastic from the switch boss inside the front of the phone. If I recall correctly the thread on the Blue 302 had some nice details about crack repair.
Awesome.  Thanks, Harry.  Yes, I'm trying to fix a hairline on a Trimline so I'll have to figure something out, but I'll look over the page you suggested.

~Dan

Jim Stettler

They sell a 3 pack of super glue at the $1.00 store.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

stopthemachine

Quote from: Jim S. on February 02, 2011, 05:14:25 PM
Jim
Sounds like this could run me some money here.  Maybe I'd better wait a while.  Haha.

Just4Phones

Quote from: Jim S. on February 02, 2011, 05:14:25 PM
Jim

Stupid question?  What is a $1.00 store?

stopthemachine

Where everything in the store is a dollar.  I just noticed you're in NYC so maybe they don't have them there--everything is just too damned expensive there. lol

Just4Phones

Quote from: stopthemachine on February 04, 2011, 01:11:00 AM
Where everything in the store is a dollar.  I just noticed you're in NYC so maybe they don't have them there--everything is just too damned expensive there. lol

How can they sell stuff for a dollar?  Is it like those 100 calorie snack packages that have one half of a cookie in them?   ;D

HarrySmith

There is one on every corner here in South Florida. Most of them also have stuff that is not a dollar.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: stopthemachine on February 04, 2011, 01:11:00 AM

The particular $1 store I am talking about is  a Dollar tree.  I buy my microfiber towels there too.

There is also a $.99 store. Their stuff is junkier.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

We have a dollar tree in Lexington. Yeah your right Jim the penny makes a difference
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010