News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Canadian Road Trip

Started by Fabius, June 24, 2015, 08:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

In August we are traveling to Toronto (got tickets for the Murdoch Mysteries Fan Days) and Montreal on vacation. (Do you say "holiday" in Canada?). We plan to drive across at Point Edward, Ont. Probably stopping for the night at London and later in the trip Kingston. On the way home stopping at Niagara Falls and entering the US there. I'm already making a list of flea markets and antique shops. Any suggests where to find true antique shops/malls and flea markets?

Dave, we would love to visit you museum on PEI. Any possibility you get the island moved to Lake Ontario to make a visit more convenient for us?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

DavePEI

Quote from: Fabius on June 24, 2015, 08:50:16 PM
Dave, we would love to visit you museum on PEI. Any possibility you get the island moved to Lake Ontario to make a visit more convenient for us?
Wouldn't that be great! Let's see. 4 or 5  truckloads, 1200 miles.... No, not possible, Sorry!

Have a great vacation! Re: Vacation/Holiday. We tend to use the word vacation when we are on a summer trip, but the word holiday to describe a day, or a few says off, i.e. Christmas holiday, or New Year's holiday... We would never refer to it as Christmas vacation, that is, unless we were taking a month off. But in some ways, both are pretty well interchangeable!

If you pass through Kingston, stop by and say Hello to Don Woodbury at OldPhoneWorks. Don has lots of weird and wonderful stuff that isn't listed on his website. He is back in Kingston now following his extended vacation in Equador. Don and I both grew up in Brockville, about 50 miles from Kingston on the St. Lawrence River. I knew his whole family, though I haven't actually seen Don in person in 50 years, we have been in regular contact for the last 8 or 10 years. What a coincidence two Brockville guys would both independently develop such an interest in phones! I blame it on the Automatic Electric plant there :)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

tallguy58

If you're going to Kingston, call Don at OPW. That's where he's located.
Cheers........Bill

DNO

If you're in Toronto on a Sunday, I would recommend a visit to the St. Lawrence Market Antique Market.  It opens at dawn and closes around 5 pm.  The building that houses the market is being replaced so it has moved a bit south to The Esplanade and Jarvis St. downtown. 
David

DNO

There's also a large antique mall in Woodstock, near London, called 'One of a Kind Antique Mall'.  I've never been to it but it looks interesting.  It has an internet site.

In Cambridge, there is another antique mall called 'Southworks' on Grand Avenue in the downtown area.  I've been to that one and it's worth a look.  It, too, has an internet site.

Enjoy your visit!
David

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905