News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first green phone AE

Started by MDK, March 02, 2013, 10:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDK

Last month I got my first red phone. Today I couldn't resist this mint green phone in a local antique shop. It has a few cracks and the handset cord is a bit ratty. I paid 25 dollars. Is this color rare?

AE_Collector

AE Color 15 - "Turquoise". I love that color. my wife calls it "Martha Stewart Green", similar to the corningware green coffee cups.

Not real rare in AE 80's. Like WECo the rare AE colors of that generation are gray and dark blue. Turquoise is about the same rarity as Pink, Red, Light Blue, Yellow & Dark Green.

Including black, gray & dark blue there are 12 AE 80 / 90 colors for you to work on finding.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 02, 2013, 12:15:37 PM
AE Color 15 - "Turquoise". I love that color. my wife calls it "Martha Stewart Green", similar to the corningware green coffee cups.
Is that the same colour as Martha's uniform when she was incarcerated?

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

jsowers

Quote from: DavePEI on March 02, 2013, 12:39:15 PM

Dave

I think her uniform was gray, one of the rarer colors.  :)

Also, I think it was Fire King who made the green glass coffee mugs. I've had green cereal bowls like that since the early 1980s and my Granny Sowers had those coffee mugs. In the collector market it's sometimes called Jadeite. It's good stuff and microwave safe.

MDK, your AE80 is nice and shiny and not badly faded. You can clean the handset cord (but not the phone) with denatured alcohol and wind it onto a dowel and put it in the hot sun on a car dashboard for a day and it should look a lot better.

Does it have a coiled mounting cord? Or is the handset cord super long? You don't see many AE phones with coiled mounting cords.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

Quote from: jsowers on March 02, 2013, 01:05:01 PM
I think it was Fire King who made the green glass coffee mugs.

Correct. Though wasn't Fire King either part of Corning OR did Corning also make similar glassware? In any event, not Corningware as that is the stuff that "explodes" when you drop it in just the right way....isn't it?

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: DavePEI on March 02, 2013, 12:39:15 PM

Dave

I think her uniform was gray, one of the rarer colors.  :)
You must be right. Green wouldn't go with her eyes! Actually, for fun I just did some research, and it looks as though her uniform was orange!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

jsowers

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 02, 2013, 01:11:10 PM
I think it was Fire King who made the green glass coffee mugs.

Correct. Though wasn't Fire King either part of Corning OR did Corning also make similar glassware? In any event, not Corningware as that is the stuff that "explodes" when you drop it in just the right way....isn't it?

Terry

Yes, Corning Ware can shatter if dropped the right way. It also can chip and crack if you hit it just right. My mom is a big fan of Corning Ware and I have a lot of it too, including their Electromatic percolators. Mom had a stove-top Corning percolator from the early 1960s that developed a crack in the lip (this was before the stainless steel tops) and it still worked as our iced tea pitcher until one day when the crack got larger and it just fell apart in the sink. It was 25 years old at the time.

I think Fire King was made by Anchor Hocking and Pyrex was made by Dow Corning. I've read in Consumer Reports that you don't ever put a modern Pyrex baking dish directly on a smooth top stove because it could shatter. Old Pyrex is OK, but they reformulated it to make it cheaper and now it's not as shatter-resistant. Use a hot pad in between and you're OK.

Thanks, Dave, for your research into Martha's prison garb. That would be S-C screamin' orange, as I call it.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

Quote from: jsowers on March 02, 2013, 01:36:02 PM
I think Fire King was made by Anchor Hocking and Pyrex was made by Dow Corning.

You are better than Google, Jonathan! Sounds 100% correct to me.

And to get back on topic (AE Colors), Martha's prison outfit would be AE Tangerine Orange.
Okay, maybe not COMPLETELY back on topic....

Terry

JorgeAmely

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 02, 2013, 01:51:48 PM
Quote from: jsowers on March 02, 2013, 01:36:02 PM
I think Fire King was made by Anchor Hocking and Pyrex was made by Dow Corning.

You are better than Google, Jonathan! Sounds 100% correct to me.

And to get back on topic (AE Colors), Martha's prison outfit would be AE Tangerine Orange.
Okay, maybe not COMPLETELY back on topic....

Terry

I don't think I have that color in my collection. Terry, do you have an extra ...?
Jorge

LM Ericsson

I have one of those in that color, mine has a crack in it too!
Regards,
-Grayson

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 02, 2013, 09:46:57 PM
I don't think I have that color in my collection. Terry, do you have an extra ...?

I should have mentioned that AE did not produce 80's or 90's in Tangerine Oronge. It was a Styleline color though they did make the odd AE 80E in Tangerine. I have never seen a matching 192 Wall phone in that color though.

And Sorry Jorge, just one Tangerine 80E here.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LM Ericsson on March 02, 2013, 10:01:17 PM
I have one of those in that color, mine has a crack in it too!

LM: Are you sure your's isn't a light blue "Forget Me Not Blue" AE 80? The cords are FMN Blue so the plastic may have discolored to look like Turquoise.

Terry

LM Ericsson

My apologies! I used the wrong pic!! I meant this one...
Regards,
-Grayson

AE_Collector

That's better! Very Nice. Wife says "Hi Martha"....

Terry

MDK

Most of the genuine photos I've found of Martha Stewart in prison show her wearing dark blue, to which I sadly have not been able to equate with a corresponding phone color. The orange jumpsuit photos of Martha all appear to have been fabricated. I wouldn't mind seeing her in Mediterranean blue, if I had the choice of phone colors.

This thread has taken an interesting turn.