News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I think I scored a 5302 not sure.

Started by Dan/Panther, October 14, 2008, 05:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I won this auction last month, and just got the phone today.
The closest I can come to a match is a 5302.

Can anyone else shed some light on if I'm correct or not. Here is the link, McHeath maybe you better not look. >:( >:( ;D

Link no longer valid.

Here are some pictures I took Today. With shipping to my door...$24.21. ::)

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

That is indeed a 5302.  It opens clam-like, with a 302 base and ringer.  The handset is an F1.  That was a pretty good buy.  That phone should have a 5M dial.  From what I understand the "M" designates it is a "modification" of the 5H.  Looks like a great pick-up.  That's a long time to wait but it looks like it may be worth it.  You'll notice that the back of the phone is shorter....kind of chopped off compared to the model 500.

The ringer vent which is on the base is missing the screen but a piece of loosely woven black fabric, or a piece of screening material will work there.  The 5302's also had that adjustable ringer.  The leather feet attach with screws so they can be recovered or replaced.  They were not riveted on like the 500 models.

mienaichizu

nice phone, and i like the radio at the back, hahahaha....

benhutcherson

Looks like you indeed got a good deal.

Just as a side note, not all 5302s have the ringer adjustment, although it appears as though yours does. Mine does not-it presumably was made in 1951, as per the date on the dial(all other components are dated '41). Mine also has a straight black plastic handset cord, not unlike the one on my 500 from '52.

Apparently, various changes were made over the course of 5302 production. The earlier ones retained their F-1 handset, while later ones had a G-1 with special caps to allow the use of the transmitter/receiver elements from the F-1 handset. Also, a good many of the ones I've seen for sale have a #6 dial-a #5 would presumably be more desirable.

Dan/Panther

The Radio is a Philco PT-93, and was used as a prop during the filming of the Movie "Seabiscuit". It plays like new.
One of my showpieces.
D/P

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 14, 2008, 09:56:40 PM
The Radio is a Philco PT-93, and was used as a prop during the filming of the Movie "Seabiscuit". It plays like new.
One of my showpieces.
D/P

Anyone here had one of their phones make a movie appearance?  I sold a TV lamp to DreamWorks that was used in the film, Disturbia, but that's the only time one of my babies made the big screen.

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Okay I looked.   :o

Nice lookin' phone, and it's real clean as well.  Does it work well?  That was clever of Ma Bell to reuse those 302s that way, but can you imagine the stink that would happen today if someone tried a move this obvious?  Say Apple or someone reskins products made in 1994 and tries to pass them off as new computers.  A lot of car makers used to do something like this, my 73' Chevy pickup was pretty much the same thing as my dad's 86' model, only his had a few sheet metal changes to "update" it, but I don't know if they are doing this anymore.

Dennis Markham

Thank you guys for correcting me on the dials.  I have only two 5302's and they both have the 5M dial.  I should not have assumed they all have that dial.  Pretty much anything is possible with some of the field repair that was done and obviously they were released with the #6.  One of mine does have the G series handset with the adapters for the F1 elements.

Dan/Panther

Talking about hybrids, Radios especially Pre, and Post WWII radiois, will have the same cabinets. Totally different chassis.

D/P

JimH

Quote from: Mark Stevens on October 14, 2008, 10:04:15 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 14, 2008, 09:56:40 PM
One of my showpieces.
D/P

Anyone here had one of their phones make a movie appearance?  I sold a TV lamp to DreamWorks that was used in the film, Disturbia, but that's the only time one of my babies made the big screen.
None of mine ever made it to the movies, but I always think it's funny when I watch a movie and they have an incorrect phone for the time....like a movie that takes place in the 50s and it's obvious it has modular cords.
Jim H.

BDM

Speaking of which, the movie "The Sting" is loaded with common, but era correct telephones. Only exception is some of the sticks have bulldog transmitters. Guess it depends on exactly the year the movie takes place in. Funny thing is, I can't remember ever seeing a radio except once in that film.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

I've always thought that the stick in the court house in Andy Griffith looked a bit out of place. It seems to me as though in the mid to late '50s, candlesticks would have been almost entirely out of use(although Bell did permit 151AL sticks to remain in service).

McHeath

We've been watching a lot of retro TV these days with our new digital telle and new roof antenna.  (I'm way too cheap to pay for cable or anything like that)  Been fun seeing all the 500s and 554s and 302s in old shows as well as hearing that classic ring. 

How does the ring adjuster work on these 5302s?  I've looked long and hard at my 354s ringer trying to figure out how they made some sort of way to adjust it.

BDM

It's just a small tab that moves the outer most bell, in or out farther from the striker. The outer most bell sits on a small plate that moves with the adjustment tab. You can also adjust the bells themselves for further note or amplitude change, just as you can on any of the 302 type sets.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI