News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Heemaf 1955 intercom version

Started by Matilo Telephones, October 17, 2014, 07:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matilo Telephones

And another of this weeks streak of good catches: a Heemaf 1955 (very very) rare intercom version. It was offered by the same seller as the Pyramid GPO 232. So I couldn't resist snapping this up too.
I have only seen one other one like this. That one is in my collection too. :-)
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

unbeldi

Was this made in such fashion by Heemaf or is it a 3rd party modification?

The style of manufacturing seems rather like some electronics firm retrofitted the Heemaf.

Matilo Telephones

Well I am not quite sure. I must examine it more carefull. It was not made for PTT, but for Philips by Heemaf.
Heemaf made some special versions of this phone for Philips>
I have had a quick look at the insides and it seems that it was originally made like this and not converted from a normal desk phone. BUt I am not 100% sure.
If it is a conversion, it was well done.

The first one I got is incomplete. I hoped this one would clear up some questions I had on this phone. But this one is a little different and incomplete too, so it seems.
Groeten,

Arwin

Matilo Telephones

Pic one, the one I just bought.
Pic two, the one I already had.

See pic 2, there seem to be parts of some kind of bracket where the screws are where normally the dial is fastened. These led me to think that some parts may be missing.

Now that I look at them again, it may also be that they are crudely made.

Both phones are missing the anti insect mesh that is always over the sound holes at the base plate. Alle Philips verions have that mesh. The hose for the frame that holds the mesh are there. (PTT versions do not have the mesh and the holes).

The dust inside seems to indicate that the usually phones parts were never there. Also there is no trace of the schematic that is in all the dial versions.
Groeten,

Arwin

HarrySmith

I do not know these phones at all but, one does appear to have a retaining ring the dial screws go into.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

ok, thanks much for putting up these pictures.
This confirms my suspicion that the phone had no conventional ringer.
The housing and the chassis are just like the standard dial-equipped model 1955.

The modification certainly was not by an amateur, it had its purpose and was professional.

Are you certain it is an intercom?  Is that a speaker or a microphone in the front?

My first guess would have been that this was a modification to use the set at, for example, a radio station, or other recording station. The standard ringer was replaced by an audible beeper (A.O. ?) or could be switched off (IND ?) so that the red light was blinking instead, or only.

I suppose, clarification as to the type of audio device would be helpful.

PS: these two sets certainly seem to have functioned slightly differently.  One of them had additional functionality wired into the hookswitch and/or the earthing button.

unbeldi

Why do you suspect it was made for Philips?
I know Philips used these for their UB-49 PABX systems and probably others, and Heemaf supplied them with phones that already had the Philips labels glued inside.

Perhaps the fact that there are no labels inside, speaks indeed for them being made at Heemaf by way of custom order.  Heemaf, after all, made electronics equipment and electrical machines of various kinds outside of the telecom field.  Perhaps these units were simply sold to third party vendors as empty shells with only the hookswitch and terminal board for customer modifications.

PS: sorry, rereading your post, it is apparent you didn't actual suspect that it was for Philips.

Matilo Telephones

Perhaps, Unbeldi. Thanks for these suggestions. I'll try to keep an open mind as to its origins and purpose. :-)

I did not actually say these were made for Philips. I forgot to mention that the hookswitch buttons on both phones have the Philips logo and one has a paper label with Philips writing on it. See pic

When I start restoring it, I'll see what it actually does. (I hope).

I also plan to visit our national telephone museum and study what they have on the Heemaf 1955. Maybe I'll learn more.
Groeten,

Arwin

unbeldi

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on October 22, 2014, 04:00:04 PM
Perhaps, Unbeldi. Thanks for these suggestions. I'll try to keep an open mind as to its origins and purpose. :-)

I did not actually say these were made for Philips. I forgot to mention that the hookswitch buttons on both phones have the Philips logo and one has a paper label with Philips writing on it. See pic

When I start restoring it, I'll see what it actually does. (I hope).

I also plan to visit our national telephone museum and study what they have on the Heemaf 1955. Maybe I'll learn more.

That should be interesting, and I would love to go there myself.  IMHO, the Heemaf 1955 is one of my favorite telephone models of any.  I was very happy when I found my 1970-made one, one of the very last, that was essentially in mint condition.

So this label suggests that it was Philips who had some kind of use of this modified set.  Philips produced all kinds of electronics of course, telephony switching gear, radio station and audio equipment. So, the modification could well have been made by them as part of some system.
Perhaps if you keep collecting more of these, you'll eventually find out the purpose. :-)

Matilo Telephones

Thanks, it is one of the focus phones of my collection. I try to buy all the variants I can find and want to do some thorough research into its origins.

There is also an historical society of Heemaf (actually of Holec, the company that absorbed Heemaf). I have been in contact with them too.
And there is a local foundation that preserves industrial heritage of the town of Hengelo. They also have some Heemaf material. I hope to visit them too.

If I see another intercom version, I may indeed try to buy that one too. :-)
Groeten,

Arwin

unbeldi

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on October 24, 2014, 09:12:11 AM
Thanks, it is one of the focus phones of my collection. I try to buy all the variants I can find and want to do some thorough research into its origins.

There is also an historical society of Heemaf (actually of Holec, the company that absorbed Heemaf). I have been in contact with them too.
And there is a local foundation that preserves industrial heritage of the town of Hengelo. They also have some Heemaf material. I hope to visit them too.

If I see another intercom version, I may indeed try to buy that one too. :-)

Yes, the Holec history site is actually quite good and very interesting, I just don't know how complete it is.
It would be terrific to find a version of the video that shows the manufacturing of the 1955, with the sound track. The one online is silent. Perhaps that is one of those things to ask the curators of that archive.

Matilo Telephones

That site is pretty good on company history, but not very good on the parts about telephones.

I donated them a very very rare push button Heemaf 1955 in almost mint condition. I had to explain to them what it was. That illustrates the depth of their knowledge on telephones. But that is to be expected as their focus is not so much on the products of Heemaf itself, but more on the development of the company itself.

That film is great, but I seem to remember it was posted on the web by somebody else and not by the people of the Holec historical society.
Groeten,

Arwin

Matilo Telephones

It was posted by the Historic Centre for the Overijsel province.
Groeten,

Arwin

unbeldi

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on October 25, 2014, 06:32:35 PM
That site is pretty good on company history, but not very good on the parts about telephones.

I donated them a very very rare push button Heemaf 1955 in almost mint condition. I had to explain to them what it was. That illustrates the depth of their knowledge on telephones. But that is to be expected as their focus is not so much on the products of Heemaf itself, but more on the development of the company itself.

That film is great, but I seem to remember it was posted on the web by somebody else and not by the people of the Holec historical society.

This was the GDK pushbutton version for Philips that you gave them?

I suppose the telephone division was only a small part of the company, after all they made locomotives and all sorts of motors and electrical equipment too.

Matilo Telephones

That is the one, yes.

I bought 2 of them years ago. The seller told me his dad brought them home from work. He used to play with them as a kid. By the looks of them they weren never installed.

They have some small scrapes and spots, I guess from playing. The bakelite has a factory fresh shine.

I put my spare one on marktplaats for trade/exchange. I was contacted by Piet Hein Eek, a Dutch designer. He borrowed that phone from me for his installation for the worlds fair in Shanghai.

Afterwards it has been in that same installation as it was exhibited at Piet Hein Eeks building in Eindhoven. There I took this pisture.

When that exhibition ended it was returned to me and I donated it the society.

Funny thing, about 2 million Chinese people saw that phone.
Groeten,

Arwin