News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What Do I Have Here?

Started by Doug Rose, October 29, 2014, 06:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Solid and HEAVY!! 8" top to bottom, 6" across including round wood and 3.5 inches deep. Beautiful wood. Had a short rubber coated wire with a plug on the end. The posts on the top   S& INT   INT    S  12 Volts etched on side. Ground post on side. Intercom what? Power Supply? Outstanding condition...Doug
Kidphone

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

HarrySmith

Looks like you have a pretty box. Maybe if we see the inside we might have more of an idea what it is for.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

Looks somewhat like an ignition coil but no inturupter

Dan/Panther

Quote from: rdelius on October 29, 2014, 09:16:31 PM

You might be right, early autos had a lot of wooden components.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

cihensley@aol.com

You have a knack for finding unusual things Doug.

Chuck

Doug Rose

thanks guys ...I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction...Doug

Harry,,,,are you channeling your APB?....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 29, 2014, 09:49:11 PM
Quote from: rdelius on October 29, 2014, 09:16:31 PM

You might be right, early autos had a lot of wooden components.

D/P

Looks sorta like one, but I don't think it is:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trembler_coil
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I might be wrong, maybe it is an antique engine coil, someone else has one like it on this board:  http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35497.
If that's the case, in as good of shape it's in, you might get some bucks for it!

Actually, I'm fairly certain that I am wrong, looks like it is an ignition coil from a different thread on the same board:
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53446
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

thanks Briny...I have had this for years sitting in the corner of my phone room.... out of site and out of mind. I could never figure what I had. I will see what I can get for it in the coming weeks....many thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Doug - I got a positive ID for you!  I love solving little mysteries like this, plus it increases my knowledge of vintage artifacts, so I posted your pics in a couple of antique auto forums.  I didn't post a link to here because I wasn't sure how you wanted to handle it.

http://forums.aaca.org/showthread.php?t=382486&p=1359597&posted=1#post1359597

QuoteRe: Need part ID - Old coil?

It's an Atwater-Kent ignition coil, ca. 1917-20. Used on Franklins and likely others. Is it for sale?
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Briny....many thanks...let them know it is for sale and I will take offers.   I will put it on eBay Sunday if the offer doesn't  tickle me...I sure do appreciate this...Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 31, 2014, 06:05:31 PM
Briny....many thanks...let them know it is for sale and I will take offers.  You can post my email address dougrose9477@aol.com. I will put it on eBay Sunday if the offer doesn't  tickle me...I sure do appreciate this...Doug

Kewl!  I just pm'd the guy with your response.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Harry....here is what it looks like on the inside ....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

What is that?  Is the whole thing encased in tar?
- Mike Row
e