News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Protel Pay Phone

Started by Kelpie, September 18, 2012, 03:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

I found this key to work better than the flat ones. It was listed under the search "payphone t key" on eBay.
Gary

oldguy

Everybody refers to 2 batteries. My phone has the 3 cell battery mounted in the plastic cover. where should the other one be? What does it connect to? What does it look like? Also sense the phone has to be grounded, I was going to connect it to the ground terminal of a duplex receptacle, any better options? Here is a pic of the ID tag if that is helpful.
Gary

AE_Collector

Yeah, those "Northern Like" T Keys with the rounded tabs do seem to be smother to operate than the stamped steel type with the square edge tabs. Especially on NT Millenium payphones!

The protel 6520 boards also had a lithium (possibly a CR2 cell?) in a holder right on the board. I cant recall if it was on the front or the back of the board now.

Terry

oldguy

Thanks Terry, i will look for it when I get my phone work area back together.
Gary

Oletrapper

Quote from: Payphone installer on June 26, 2015, 08:06:46 AM
Yesterday I finally got the time to sit down and set up a generic program that should allow most of you to program your Protel 310,2000,4000,7000,6000 and 8000 boards as long ad they are firmware CD or DD firmware older boards with BB software are junk. You will know what you have if it works. First step is go on hook and press program button while holding the button down come off hook wait for a beep in the handset. One beep. Release button. Enter the payphones number at this point on the keypad. Do not dial one. Only area code,exchange and number. You must put in this number 555-555-5555 any other phone number will not work. I have created this test number for collectors and it will work anywhere. Now dial 25 and dial18882131795 then * (star) on the keypad,you should get a single beep, more then on beep is a failure,repeat the step. Now dial *#3 on the keypad (star pound three on the pad) the phone should repeat its phone number back to you which is 555-555-5555 then it will call and connect to my PC and expressnet will give you a download. Hang the phone up. Download could take several minutes. When you have dial tone on the phone again dial *#6 and it should give you the date and time of your download,if it does not,download was not complete of failed. Things that will cause a failure are dead batteries,or batteries not connected. Wrong firmware. Wrong phone number. Bad board. Bad keypad. This may or may not work on a VOIP line it just depends how the phone company has the line set up. Copper is best,land line. Good luck I will try and answer questions when I get time. I am busy running a phone company. Jim
Good morning Jim, This is my first post here and I thought I would ask if your procedure will work on my phone. I'm still not sure what company this phone was with but did find a tag which appears to be placed by the company. It is Quadrum Telecom. The board is almost identical to Vinnie's with the exception of mine is a Protel CTR200BB+ ISS4. The person I bought it from states that it was never used. It appears to be so. Once getting into the phone. (received with keys but no T key) 6V battery was disconnected and ground wire was screwed back to board. Battery metered at 2 volts. I have one ordered from Payphone.com. Tried to follow some programming instructions but couldn't get to first base as no dial tone. (bad battery I am assuming) I own a small farm and want to put this in my work shop. Lots of guys and friends coming and going and thought this would put a stop to LD calls from my land line going on my bill. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to lend to getting this up and running.  Robert   Smith's Farms  KY

Payphone installer

Your board is a 200 series board and will not work for a download. The 200bb board used very early firmware. If the firmware was available for download the phone would not function properly with the current NPA rate structure meaning 10 digit local dialing. I am not even sure that the guts in your current phone are even compatible with a newer board. The board you are looking for is the 2000 board with a dial and electronic chute not manual. May need a different dial pad and relay also. I probably have all those parts. I also live in KY and may have the correct rate file for your area.

Oletrapper

Jim, Thank you for the reply. I kind of figured I bought an "Edsel" after reading lots of information here on the forum. Do you think the manual programming entry process could still work? I haven't received the battery pack yet so I can't attempt to do anything. My battery is reading 2v. I live in N.KY. Would be great if you were close. This is a great looking phone as it has never been used. Hope I can somehow get it to work. Thanks again.  Robert

Feel free to email me or send a private message.

Payphone installer

I am in Northern ky also Cold Sprind Campbell county

Oletrapper

Good morning Jim,  That's amazing. I live on a farm in Grantslick. I retired from NCR in 94.
Life is good. Looking forward to playing with this phone and communicating with you about my results. I don't want to stick a ton of money in this thing but it would be nice to get it working. Just being there will be a deterrent to the guys making calls. If they think they have to pay for a call, they most likely won't even try. 

Payphone installer

Oletrapper

Quote from: Payphone installer on November 22, 2015, 08:48:38 AM
Your board is a 200 series board and will not work for a download. The 200bb board used very early firmware. If the firmware was available for download the phone would not function properly with the current NPA rate structure meaning 10 digit local dialing. I am not even sure that the guts in your current phone are even compatible with a newer board. The board you are looking for is the 2000 board with a dial and electronic chute not manual. May need a different dial pad and relay also. I probably have all those parts. I also live in KY and may have the correct rate file for your area.
Just wanted everyone to know that my phone has been upgraded and installed and working perfectly. Many thanks to Payphone Installer and his crew for making this happen. Below is a note I sent to him after getting phone installed. Also photo of the installed phone in my work shop at Smith's Farms.

Good morning Jim,  Just wanted to say many thanks for all your help. I was truly amazed at the size and scope of your business and your willingness to help me get the phone up and running. Your son Clark is a true professional. Courtesy and eagerness were foremost in his approach to setting up the phone. Please tell him and Chris and the others I said thank you. Wish I could have spent a little more time with you to talk a little about the old days.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to all at CPC.

Oletrapper

Good morning Jim, Hope you see this as this post is a couple years old. You rebuilt a payphone for me about a year ago or so. I think your son put 7000 guts in my phone. My question is in regards to the battery. Can that battery be charged with key entries on the keypad?  #*67 battery test is giving 3 beeps. If I use the phone for about 10 min. it goes back to 1 beep. Next day back to 3 beeps. Your son said if the battery goes bad to stop by and he would give me another one. If no keypad entry is available to manually charge, I may have to do that. Again, hope you see this post.  Thanks, R.Smith, Grantslick

Payphone installer

We have batteries still it may charge back up with the code just depends on the version of software. If they are not used often they will always go dead.

Oletrapper

Thanks Jim, All seems to be okay. I'll do the manual recharge at least once a week as the phone isn't used that often.  Thanks again, Robert