"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 305 switch wire locations

Started by Chesterwick, August 03, 2018, 10:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chesterwick

Hello all,

I have a nice metal 305 dated 12/40 that I got at a flea market. I was able to get it operational using 302 schematics but for the life of me haven't been able to figure out where the two wires for the on, off switch go so I can turn the ringer on and off. I've studied schematics and am at a loss.

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Joe

RB

Hi Joe.
I don't know that phone, but, if it has a switch with no wires on it, you could remove one wire from the ringer, either one, and place it on one switch contact.
Then, place a jumper wire from the other switch contact, to the place where you removed the ringer wire.

HarrySmith

Agreed. I could not find a wiring diagram for it either but as was stated you could use either wire.
I have attached a picture with parts marked. Between the ringer & the condensor there is a terminal board. You should have an empty terminal. Remove 1 ringer wire from the coil and put it on the board. Connect one wire of the switch to the same terminal on the board and the other switch wire to where you removed the ringer wire at the coil. That should work fine. I think I have one at home, if I can find it I will check how mine is wired.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Chesterwick

Harry,

I figured it out thanks to your explanation. Works just fine now.

J