News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Value Question Original Finsish or Restored Finish

Started by jjflory, January 24, 2014, 03:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjflory

I have a Stromberg Carlson Two Box Telephone, that is all original, and in its original finish.

My question is as follows: the finish is not bad, just dull. Is it better from a Value standpoint to refinish the Wood?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Contempra

hi.. my opinion is : let the phone in his juice if it works ....or  you can polish the wood a little bit if you keep this phone ;)

Matilo Telephones

My 2 cents: personally I like originality the best. The more you do to an object, change, redo etc, the less it becomes what it once was.

Refinish? Well, the laquer or varnish is in all probability of a different composition than the original. You can't see that difference, maybe. But the difference is there.

So, polish, wax, or whatever. But there are plenty of people who think differently about this.

Secondly, I do not like to make things better than they were.

Thirdly, can you do just as good a job? Or can you find someone who does?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Doug Rose

Before you would even think of a refinish, try some Howards Liquid Wax. The change is amazing.

Howards restorafinish does a great job as well with little effort, but I would wax it first...Doug
Kidphone

jjflory

Thanks for the info. Took a look on line at the Howard's Restore & Finish and it looks good. Going to buy some tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Sargeguy

It depends upon a variety of factors such as how far gone a finish is, and how good you are at restoration.  I aim for a "well preserved but aged" look but have restored them to "factory fresh" appearance as well.  I think the important thing is to have consistency with all the parts in a similar state of wear.

There are several ways to restore a finish on an old phone.  Here are some random thoughts:

-I use Restor-A-Finish, there are several types and you need to match the original color/tone.  I mix a few colors sometimes.  Regular stain will also work. 
-If the front door and other flat surfaces may benefit from a thin coat of shellac that is then sanded to match the sides.  Or you may want to strip those parts apply restor-a-finish, then sand and shellac
-If you do need to strip make sure to get all the shellac off,  but if you sand you may want to keep dark areas dark, they'll preserve some of the phones "patina"
-Tung oil works well on areas that are scratched or worn down.  If you have a phone with a lot of dings and scrapes, rub a few coats of tung oil on it. It takes a while to dry and may require a few coats.
-Citri-strip is great for removing shellac

Most of the techniques are reversible.  If you plan to strip a phone anyway, you may want to experiment with some of these techniques before doing so to practice and familiarize yourself with them.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

jjflory

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. It good to know that if I don't like the Resto Finish and and still sand and Shellac.

Jeff

jjflory

Did the Howards Restor & Finish today and it looks great.

Thanks Again

Jeff

HarrySmith

Cool. Glad it worked out for you! Got any pictures? Before & After is always cool!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

Mark me down as another fan of Howard's, great stuff!  I used it on an old radio and a vintage dresser with very pleasing results.  Here's the links to threads with the before/after pics:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2785.msg38121#msg38121

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6233.msg73541#msg73541
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Another technique I forgot-Wad up a few paper towels and wrap in a old T-Shirt.  Soak the towel with denatured alcohol until it is damp but not wet.  I put the alcohol in one of those condiment bottles that restaurants use to store vinegar, etc.  Once the rag is damp, rub the surface.  This smooths out the shellac and fills in scratches. DO NOT pour the alcohol directly onto the shellac, it will dissolve.  Do not overdo it.  If the shellac is too thin, it may wipe off.  This good for spot repair and works especially well on removing second coats of shellac that have "alligatored".
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

jjflory

Before and After

Note: Second copy of image removed... DavePEI

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

I would definitely do a top coat of something.  I would use shellac, myself-I'm not a big fan of wax.  Wax is easier to work with though.

Is that phone oak?  What color Restor-a-Finish did you use? 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Kidphone