News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg redbar 1014 type select o phone

Started by Butch Harlow, February 08, 2018, 09:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Harlow

Got a nice Kellogg redbar Selectophone 1014 Today. It's beautiful. However it won't dial. Am I correct in my assumption that like the 11A, the 18D and 21D dials also will not work on regular phone service? I had a spare AE 24a36 dial that was virtually identical,  so I swapped it in and it worked. Is there some way to swap out the contacts and make the 18D work, or am I better off just leaving the AE dial in it. I knew it wouldn't ring, but that's another problem for another category entirely.
Butch Harlow

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Butch Harlow on February 08, 2018, 09:54:56 PM
Got a nice Kellogg redbar Selectophone 1014 Today. It's beautiful. However it won't dial. Am I correct in my assumption that like the 11A, the 18D and 21D dials also will not work on regular phone service? I had a spare AE 24a36 dial that was virtually identical,  so I swapped it in and it worked. Is there some way to swap out the contacts and make the 18D work, or am I better off just leaving the AE dial in it. I knew it wouldn't ring, but that's another problem for another category entirely.
It is a "nice Kellogg redbar Selectophone 1014 ".
Why are you trying to make it into a "frankenfone"?
It is a real and scarce phone. Why destroy it?

JMO,
JimS.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Butch Harlow

Not trying to make it a frankenphone. Trying to make it a working phone. It came installed with a dial that wont work on standard phone service, and a ringer that wont ring. The ringer part I am fine with, I have a ton of phones that ring, but being able to dial is important. I am not cutting holes in the phone, just putting in a dial, or changing contacts on the existing dial. Either change is easily reversible. One nice thing is the 18D dial is identical to an AE dial in almost every way. All the parts interchange, at least on the front. My question was about the 18D dial, is ther a way to modify it to work, or am I stuck with a very pretty functionless phone?
Butch Harlow

TelePlay

Here is a link to a pretty good topic that dealt with an SOP dial. It's once again the question of keeping the phone as built or changing it to something that works. Either is best depending on what you want to do with the phone. Finding a dial to replace the SOP dial is difficult, they re hard to find and then don't work the best, from what I have been told.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16991.msg177707#msg177707

Pourme

I'd like to see pictures of this rare phone, I'm a big fan of red bars!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

With the AE dial, it works and dials, however I am on VOIP here so I have to use a pulse to tone converter. About half the time lifting the receiver sends a false pulse and the converter converts it. So I have to hang up and try again. The phone, inside and out looks like it was never used. So, it's more than likely that I leave it as is. I do think the brown cloth handset cord is wrong and it has no line cord at all, but those are easy to correct.
Butch Harlow

Pourme

Thanks for the pics. The design and style of these phones are so unique. What a brainstorm for the engineer that proposed the  red bar it's self.  Yours does indeed look like it was rarely used, good find.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Butch Harlow

It's is quite aptly named, Masterphone. They are truly masterpieces under the hood.
Butch Harlow

poplar1

I thought the Selectophones were coded 1017, had a pushbutton for signaling, and were usually brown.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Butch Harlow

Quote from: poplar1 on February 09, 2018, 08:29:56 AM
I thought the Selectophones were coded 1017, had a pushbutton for signaling, and were usually brown.

Yeah me too, but when I researched it by the number on the bottom I found, literally, nothing. When I searched out the dial it referenced the phone by model. I will find that and post it so you can see it yourself.
Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

poplar1

Found another reference to the 1014 Selectophone.
Shows an 18D dial. Apparently the phone is black since other entries mention "walnut brown." However, there is still a pushbutton to signal after dialing the station number.

Original page 14 of this document:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/strombergcarlson/kellogg/PDF/1960_CODE_SELECTOPHONE_A82.pdf
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Butch Harlow

Quote from: poplar1 on February 09, 2018, 11:43:16 AM
Found another reference to the 1014 Selectophone.
Shows an 18D dial. Apparently the phone is black since other entries mention "walnut brown." However, there is still a pushbutton to signal after dialing the station number.

Original page 14 of this document:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/strombergcarlson/kellogg/PDF/1960_CODE_SELECTOPHONE_A82.pdf

More mysterious by the hour on this one. According to the document you posted, everything on the phone is right. Everything,  that is, except for the absence of the signal button. I had the ringer out last night and it's stamped 4A. It's a cute little single bell. I kind of figured it would never work.  At this point I am wondering if someone switched out the case for one that has no button. If so, why? They left every other thing the same.
Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

Interior shots. These things were well designed.
Butch Harlow