News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

*** The "Find of the YEAR" for 2013 ***

Started by AE_Collector, January 02, 2014, 01:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The "Find of the YEAR for 2013" - Vote for your Favorite THREE

Paul F's CLEAR AE 34 for that was given to him for FREE!
13 (35.1%)
Gilas' Oxford Grey 500 for only $19.95 on an ebaY Buy it Now
9 (24.3%)
Unbeldi put together an almost Instant Collection of Colored 302's
5 (13.5%)
LarryInMichigan's Green 302 snagged for only $49
9 (24.3%)
Dan got a 1950/1951 early black WECo 500 for $29.99 in an ebaY BIN
6 (16.2%)
AE40FAN got a Mahogany Automatic Electric Monophone for $89.99 BIN on ebaY
10 (27%)
Gilas bought a Mediterranean Blue WECo 500 for an amazing  $33.33
11 (29.7%)
tptech302 scored a 1955 Mahogany Brown 500 set found on eBay BIN for $39.95
2 (5.4%)
Gilas' was shopping again. This time a 591 Rose Beige & 500 Oxford Gray - $30
7 (18.9%)
unbeldi is back again with a 1958 Mahogany Brown 564H key set for $319 including shipping
5 (13.5%)
WEBellSystemChristian grabbed a Set of 3 - 10 Button WECo Phones for $4 Total
7 (18.9%)
Gilas DID IT AGAIN, this time a  nice Automatic Electric #2 for only $39.95
5 (13.5%)
cchaven finished the year with a Mahogany Brown WECo 591 for $12 at an Antique Mall
11 (29.7%)

Total Members Voted: 37

AE_Collector

Ever since Dennis started the "Find of the Month" in October 2010 we have kicked around the idea of having the "Playoff's" after the end of a year, a "Find of the YEAR" competition.

So this time we are going to give it a try. There would normally be 12 entries, the winners of each of the monthly competitions from the year. However, we declared a tie in January 2013 as we just couldn't get a clear winner so there are 13 contestants this time.

Take a few minutes to go through the list below. I have created one post per entrant along with very brief details, a link to the original nomination or the seperate topic on CRPF if there was one and one picture of each. The pictures are from the Photobucket site that John "TelePlay" maintains of all Find of the Month winners as well as the winners of the "Auction Contests".

Since there are thirteen to choose from, lets do THREE VOTES EACH and see who wins the "2013 Find of the YEAR". If you inadvertently vote for less than three contestants, click the "delete vote" button at the bottom left of poll and vote again.

Terry

AE_Collector

January 2013 resulted in a tie so there are two January 2013 contestants:

Paul F received this CLEAR AE 34 for FREE! It might just be my computer but it looks as though it might have an issue or two...but still, A FREE CLEAR AE34!!

Here's the original January 2013 nomination:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8408.msg92829#msg92829

Paul wrote this about it:

This was a present from a web site visitor as a "thank you" for some info he found particularly interesting.

Now that I have your attention, it's only fair to point out that there are some minor condition issues.

It turns out he had stored it in his garage in Florida.  Compare the size of the housing with the size of the baseplate.  Need I say more?

At least I can say I own one of the rare clear AE34s.

AE_Collector

Here is January 2013's second "Winner":

Gilas snagged this Oxford Grey 500 for only $19.95 on an ebaY Buy it Now.

Here is the original Find if the Month nomination:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8408.msg92964#msg92964

Gilas had this to say about it:

I am going to nominate my Oxford Grey 500 that I got for a BIN of 19.99 the other day.  It appears all original in the posts including the grey handset cord.  Still need to find the line cord but just happy as hell that I can add this hard to find to my growing 500 collection.

Mike

AE_Collector

February 2013's "Winner":

Unbeldi put together an almost Instant Collection of Colored 302's in about a week.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8682.msg95281#msg95281

Unbeldi had this to say about his collecting techniques:

Ok, friends, ... here is my 'Finds of the Week' collection.  All acquired this month within the same week. These were not in this pretty condition when I got them, only the red was.

Peking Red: 4-1953 spent most of its life in a residence around Dallas. When the couple (in their 80s) moved to San Diego, they sold their entire estate.

Ivory and Black: 1952, were installed on the same telephone line (JUniper 8-9030) in Maryland, close to DC. One had an advertisement sticker on it for a funeral home in DC which is still operating today.

Old Rose: 1st/2nd quarter 1950, New Hampshire, has some case damage in the back, needs new cords, but great for display.

This expanded my 300-series collection to about a dozen plus parts including the 5302 models.

AE_Collector

March 2013's "Winner":

LarryInMichigan finally snagged a Green 302 as well as a Find of the Month win in March with this $49 purchase:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9041.msg96804#msg96804

Larry posted this about it:

I finally got a green 302. It arrived this afternoon, about three hours earlier than the mail usually arrives.  The plastic is dull and has some scratches, but I did not notice any cracks.  The finger wheel is shot, and the dial barely turns, but I plugged in the phone, and the transmitter and receiver worked.  The shell is VERY tight over the base.  I loosened the screws and gently tried removing the shell, but it did not budge in the slightest.  For now, the phone is set aside until I find the nerve to try to remove the shell.

I thought that I would never find one of these for an affordable price.  This one was a $49 BIN, and I couldn't resist.

Larry

AE_Collector

April 2013's "Winner:

Dan said it all about his $29.99 ebaY BIN: Got an EARLY Black WE500. I am Pumped!!!!!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9296.msg99656#msg99656

Dan had this to say about his purchase:

Very interesting. My 12-1950 was closer with all it's dates, but this one did have a 1949 part. The dial sounds strange-like a little coffee grinder. (I will lube it).

Shell dated 11-24-1951. Probably was refurbed 62 years ago
Handset cord had no date, probably a recent replacement. Based on my knowledge the curly operator started in 1949 after the Dan/P 1947-1948 Z operator  prototype  and was used till 3-1950 (my phones date). I have a 12-1950 with the small font operator  . So the curly operator vanished between 3-50 and 12-50.

It is cool putting actual dates to this history we all know about. Anyone know of a curly operator plate dated after 3-1950?

Dan

AE_Collector

May 2013's "Winner":

AE40FAN snagged this amazing $89.99 BIN on ebaY: A Mahogany Automatic Electric Monophone 1A

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9434.msg100946#msg100946

Here is what AE40FAN said about it:

Probably one of my best finds to date.  I nabbed this soon after it was listed for a BIN of 89.99 with shipping brought me to around 100 and some change.  I received it today and I must say the condition is impeccable!  It is definitely mahogany brown.   I know these are worth a lot more but, just how much more?  Some water damage to the dial card which is a milk chocolate brown.  I have to be cautious removing the handset caps and they are stuck on there good.  Early Automatic Electric deskphones are the most beautiful pieces of art.  I am thrilled!  I have another great find on the way and I will post photos of that too when it arrives.

AE_Collector

June 2013's "Winner":

It was inevitable. There had to be a Mediterranean Blue WECo 500 and Gilas got it for $33.33 and his second Find of the Month WIN for 2013

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9592.msg103278#msg103278

Gilas was surprisingly subdued about his find:

I will nominate my Mediterranean Blue with gray cord that I got off Ebay for $33.33.

AE_Collector

July 2013's "Winner":

tptech302 scored a 1955 Mahogany Brown 500 set found on eBay BIN for $39.95

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9749.msg105648#msg105648

Here is tptech302's version of the story:

I would like to submit a 1955 Mahogany Brown 500 set found on eBay BIN for $39.95. It was late night and from the pictures hard to tell if it was really a Mahogany Brown or not but took a chance on it based on the cord. All date are 1955, the straight brown handset cord is in great condition, but the line cord has been cut. I haven't taken the time to clean it up yet, and it appears to have had ink spilled on it at some point in time. I'm really unsure of the best way to clean this good, so if anyone has suggestion it would be appreciated.

AE_Collector

August's 2013's "Winner":

Gilas' was out shopping yet again and this time came up with a 591 Rose Beige & 500 Oxford Gray - $30 Total and his THIRD Find of the Month WIN for 2013

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9944.msg107135#msg107135

Once again, Gilas was surprisingly subdued about his find that again turned out to be the "Find of the Month":

I will nominate my two soft plastic 500's that I acquired tonight for the grand total of $30 at a local flea market.  One is actually a 591 Rose Beige while the other is a beautiful Oxford Gray 500

AE_Collector

September's 2013's "Winner":

unbeldi is back again in September with his SECOND FInd of the Month WIN. This time he grabbed a 1958 Mahogany Brown 564H key set for $319 including shipping

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10224.msg108581#msg108581

unbeldi posted this about his nomination:

Here is a nomination of my 1958 Mahogany Brown 564H key set, as discussed in another thread.

I suppose it is worthy of the fine company here this month.
And it is special because it managed to get my attention twice this year, as mentioned already in the story.

Another picture... can never have enough pics; this color is not easy to photograph anyways... hard to get the brown out just right, and it shows different hues in varying light conditions.

AE_Collector

October's 2013's "Winner":

A newcomer to the Find of the Month, WEBellSystemChristian grabbed a Set of 3 10 Button WECo Phones for $4 Total

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10232.msg109269#msg109269

WEBellSystemChristian had previously entered an Ivory 500 for this months competition but when this new find came along he quickly withdrew the Ivory 500 and submitted the 10 button WECo's:

I really need to remember to stop posting FotM entries at the beginning of the month.
Anyway, here are my actual GOOD find(s). Three ten-button Western Electric desk sets. Two of them are 1500s, and the other one is a Princess. My mom picked them up at an estate sale today, all for $4!

AE_Collector

November's 2013's "Winner":

I'm not sure how Gilas knew that we were going to do a Find of the Year for 2013 but obviously he went on a Find of the Month Shopping Spree to try to stack the odds in his favour and he DID IT AGAIN with this nice AE2 for only $39.95

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10405.msg112980#msg112980

Gilas was yet again surprisingly subdued about his find but did have this to say about it:

I will nominate by AE2 that cost me 39.95 with shipping included

AE_Collector

December's 2013's "Winner":

It seems like only a week ago now that cchaven's Mahogany Brown Western Electric 591 for $12 at an Antique Mall was the "December 2013 Find of the Month". Actually, I guess it was only a week or so ago.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10735.msg114388#msg114388

cchaven had the following report of the details of his "Find":

Today was my lucky day.  While browsing an antique mall not far from here, I spotted a brown telephone.  It turned out to be a mahogany WE 591 A/B dated 9/55 thru out except for the transmitter, which is dated 8/58.  It seems to have had a clear coat sprayed over it at some point, or maybe overspray in a shop.  It's thin and flaking off in spots.  Still, not bad for $12!

Here are some pictures showing some of the dates, including the back of the dial showing the color code of "-54".  It was really hard to try and capture the brown though.  It's soft plastic, has brown straight cords, and no ringer.

Jeff

AE_Collector

Okay, this is it. Time to vote for the "Find of the Year for 2013".

Ever since Dennis started the "Find of the Month" in October 2010 we have kicked around the idea of having the "Playoff's" after the end of a year, a "Find of the YEAR" competition.

So this time we are going to give it a try. There would normally be 12 entries, the winners of each of the monthly competitions from the year. However, we declared a tie in January 2013 as we just couldn't get a clear winner so there are 13 contestants this time.

Take a few minutes to check out each of the contestants. I have created one post per entrant along with very brief details, a link to the original nomination or the seperate topic on CRPF if there was one and one picture of each. The pictures are from the Photobucket site that John "TelePlay" maintains of all Find of the Month winners as well as the winners of the "Auction Contests".

Since there are thirteen to choose from, lets do THREE VOTES EACH and see who wins the "2013 Find of the YEAR". If you inadvertently vote for less than three contestants, click the "delete vote" button at the bottom left of poll and vote again.

Terry