News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mahogany 1A Automatic Electric Monophone

Started by AE40FAN, May 15, 2013, 06:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE40FAN

Probably one of my best finds to date.  I nabbed this soon after it was listed for a BIN of 89.99 with shipping brought me to around 100 and some change.  I received it today and I must say the condition is impeccable!  It is definitely mahogany brown.   I know these are worth a lot more but, just how much more?  Some water damage to the dial card which is a milk chocolate brown.  I have to be cautious removing the handset caps and they are stuck on there good.  Early Automatic Electric deskphones are the most beautiful pieces of art.  I am thrilled!  I have another great find on the way and I will post photos of that too when it arrives.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140975249824?

Doug Rose

Beautiful phone. Right place...right time. Great find....Doug
Kidphone

stub

AE40FAN ,
                That's a great find for the money!!!!! I was just too slow  :'(.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE40FAN

Stub, did you see this on eBay as well?!  I am almost able to date it.  Bottom has writing stating Kelley May 6 or 9? 1922 or 1932 can't tell it's very small and faded.  Any idea what these phones can go for in this color/condition?  Regardless, It's staying in my collection.  Now, to be able to get these in every color!

AE_Collector

Great find AE40FAN! One of these days I hope to be in the right place at the right time too!

There are Mahogany and Walnut versions. Mahogany has a more redish color to the bakelite and walnut has an overall darker brown and black mottled appearance. At least that is how I describe the two different woodgrain colors.

AE 1A's came out in 1926 so that will help you interpret the date on yours. AE didn't really like to date anything so where are you finding the date on it? If the date was written on it that far back maybe it was the Telco identifying who it was ordered for and the Installation date. I always heard that these while not a "special order" for AE to manufacture, they were pretty much a "special order" for the customer where the Telco would bring it in at the customers request.

Looking forward to your "next find" AND don't forget about the "Find of the Month"!

Terry

stub

AE40FAN,
               I only saw it in completed listings. Enjoy your new old phone and don't forget to post pics of the insides.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jim Stettler

Some of the really scarce colors can sell for a couple grand. Years ago I saw a Nile Green sell at a show for around $2,500. I don't know how much  mahogany  is worth but I suspect many times the $100 you paid for this phone.
Great find.
JMO,
Jim
It should be listed on the find of the month.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE40FAN

Hhhmmm maybe It's walnut not sure now?  Someone wrote Kelley or Kellan on the phone and  I believe it says May 9th 1929.  Writing has faded over the years.  Paper label on bottom has been ripped off.  Rubber gasket is still very pliable.  I have not attempted to open this or remove the handset caps. I know I need to be extra cautious as they are on there solid.  I'm moving in a few weeks so no phone cleaning/restoring projects for at least the next month.  It's a jewel and I'm sure it will shine beautifully once cleaned.  Honestly, I don't think this phone was ever used?  I'll post more photos once I have it cleaned and you can decide on if It's walnut or Mahogany.  My other find may not be quite as rare but, It's something I've been wanting for quite some time.  I hope it arrives safely and the seller reassures me she packed it well.

AE40FAN

Anyone out there experienced with taking one of these apart?  I am attempting to remove the cradle from the base to give it a thorough cleaning/polish?  Can the black/brass monophone plate under the handset be removed as well?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

wds

Plate is easy to remove and clean - if you have one of these wonderful tools.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8780.0

Using pliers or a screw driver will scratch the plate - this tool is perfect for removing that round nut. 
Dave

AE40FAN

Great, looks like this won't be getting done anytime soon!  I guess I am going to have to eventually get one of those tools.  Will this tool also remove the brass ring that holds the cradle to the base?  The brass ring is inside the housing....

AE40FAN

Handset caps aren't budging not even with a strap wrench ( I know the nut needs to be removed in the ear piece).  Also, I can't even seem to get the dial card ring off.  I must be psyching myself out as I fear I may damage this....

*Update:  I was able to remove the mouth piece.

AE_Collector

No, the Monophone Tool isn't going to help you with emoval of the cardle from the base. You will have to get inventive there but at least you don't have to worry about any damage to the phone as long as you don't snap the cradle in two!

Doesn't the number card holder have a screw through the back of the dial blank plate on these? If not it must be the same as if it were mounted on a dial where you need a small screw driver to slide the brass thingy over off of the tab on the back of the number card holder. Sorry for the technical talk! That is assuming that you don't have the official AE Dial Card Escutcheon Tool.

Terry

AE40FAN

For anyone who wants to know the black plate is screwed on the top of the dial blank.  Then somehow you push the chrome dial card holder onto it and it securely latches together.  I had to pry underneath the ring bending up the black plate.  Ring popped off.  I then unscrewed the black plate from the dial bezel.  I tried my best to bend the black plate back into shape.  Seems like AE made dial cards to color coordinate with the phone color which is pretty cool.  Also, I took a snap shot of the date that was inscribed on the bottom.  My guess is May of 1929.  I will be buying one of those monophone tools.

stub

AE40FAN,
                Here's the tool for the spanner nut on the base to remove the cradle assy. and the monophone tool to remove the nameplate from the hookswitch on the cradle.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield