"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My malingering 2500

Started by flybynyte, March 15, 2016, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flybynyte

Hi Gentlefolk,
I'll preface my first "request for repair assistance" thread post by pleading total ignorance as regards
internal workings of telephones, old or new.  Please make allowances for this sad deficit in your replies.
The object of my affection and some frustration is an N/T 2500 of approx, 1975 vintage.  It receives
and calls out perfectly but it's bells remain silent, I've uploaded a few photos for your perusal.
The incoming yellow and black wires have had their individual spade ends taped for some reason?
The only trial I attempted was to connect the 'yellow' to L1 and then to L2 which did not result any
perceptible changes in the phones performance.  Thank you for looking, any advice or comments will
be greatly appreciated, a pleasant day to all.....
                                                                       Bert

Nice, I like the colour.

Doug

unbeldi

The solution to your telephone's problem is to move the black wire from the G terminal to the L1 terminal, where there is already a green wire.  Leave the green wire there as well.

The operation only requires a screwdriver and is illustrated in the picture attached by the blue arrow.

See here for an explanation:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15870.msg164545#msg164545

Mr. Bones

Bert, I hope that the ol' standby move the black fixes your no-ringer dilemna; it most usually does.

It might also be worthwhile, while you are there, screwdriver in hand, to see if you have enough wire slack to find a route for the red and green wires that does not drape across one of the gongs of your ringer.

I'm postulating that it will ring even' purtier', than ever! ;)

Let us know if moving the black does the trick, please. I've asked that question before, myself, and it always has worked for me.

Enjoy your beautiful 2500, and Best regards!

Bones

("You may fire when ready, Gridley.") ;D
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

flybynyte

Awesome!.....Sorry for the tardy reply.  Moving the black wire has yielded the result I was
ardently hoping for.  She rings fine and for the first time in the 20 years it's been inhabiting
these old premises with me.  I couldn't be more pleased and happy about the forum's responses
and the successful outcome as a result.  Now,....to savor the expectation of the first real call
from an outside source.   Next on the agenda will be presenting you to the classic 302 (no dial tone)
I'll be taking photos of the old gal soon......
Thank you, Merci and Cheers
                          Bert

AE_Collector

Quote from: flybynyte on March 15, 2016, 10:53:20 PM
Now,....to savor the expectation of the first real call from an outside source.

Quick...John...get a Contest up on this topic. Will it be:

A - You've won a cruise! We just need $200 to cover the taxes.
B - Are you interested in selling your house?
C - When did you last have your furnace ducts cleaned?
D - We are in your neighbourhood, woukd you like your carpets cleaned?
E - Do you have any used clothing or furniture to donate?
F - We can save you hundreds of $ if you switch your phone service to us!

I probably missed a few hundred though......

Terry

flybynyte

:) Yes Terry, received another one today coincidentally.

I'd also like to comment on the fact that my absentmindedness resulted in not noticing
Northern Electric's suggested 'black wire move' repair tucked-into his welcoming greeting on
the new member introduction forum.  As the years pile on, in a lot of ways I'm like "The Old Gray Mare", not what
I once was.  I have to state again, I am very glad to have stumbled upon this great site!
Regards,
             Bert

NorthernElectric

Quote from: flybynyte on March 16, 2016, 01:01:35 AMI'd also like to comment on the fact that my absentmindedness resulted in not noticing Northern Electric's suggested 'black wire move' repair tucked-into his welcoming greeting on the new member introduction forum.

I have to share the credit with poplar1 for that.  You see, I am absentminded too, and I originally posted that the red wire might be on G (another, yet less likely possibility).  poplar1 reminded me that the black wire was the more likely scenario by PM and I amended my post.
Cliff

flybynyte

I've been aimlessly wandering through the various site forums, shortly after beginning my meanderings
the awful truth became glaringly evident,.....OMG, you are all totally Hardcore Addicts!   :o  I love it.......
I don't think I'll be able to get around to it today, but I'm quite eager to introduce you to my problematic 302.
Cheers,
             Bert

AE_Collector

Quote from: flybynyte on March 17, 2016, 12:47:20 PM
,.....OMG, you are all totally Hardcore Addicts!   :o

DON'T WALK.....RUN.......

NorthernElectric

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 17, 2016, 09:18:09 PM
DON'T WALK.....RUN.......

......to get some more old phones.   ;D
Cliff

HarrySmith

Quote from: flybynyte on March 17, 2016, 12:47:20 PM
I've been aimlessly wandering through the various site forums, shortly after beginning my meanderings
the awful truth became glaringly evident,.....OMG, you are all totally Hardcore Addicts!   :o  I love it.......
I don't think I'll be able to get around to it today, but I'm quite eager to introduce you to my problematic 302.
Cheers,
             Bert

Yes, it is called "Phoneitis". It is progressive and incurable! I try to warn all new members, must have missed you!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"