News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North Electric Model 6H6 "Galion" phone - ringer issue

Started by ewolfram, April 10, 2012, 11:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewolfram

I got an old phone in SF CA in about 1990 and I just pulled it out of my mother-in-law's basement. I opened it up and now I'm fascinated. It works but it doesn't ring. I'm happy to have found your forum because I completely understand your passion for old phones. And thanks to these forums, I now understand that I have a North Electric Gallion phone...there is a stamp on the bottom which says 6H6 and not 7H6 as I expected -- which could explain why it looks a tad different inside than some of the other photos that I have seen here and on Dennis's web site.

Dennis advised that I take a closer look at the ringer...I seem to remember that it worked once or twice when I first got it but then broke. Maybe I'm wrong. There is also a wire coming from the dialer that is not attached to something (as shown) and terminal 6 doesn't have a wire -- hmmm. Please advise.

Doug Rose

Welcome to the Forum!!..Try jumping location 5 to L2, if that doesn't work try L1. See the yellow blue wire in the below pics. Leave all other wires to these locations connected, you are just adding this wire...good luck....Doug
Kidphone

HowardPgh

Ewolfram-
Some North bases have 6 terminal termnal strips and some have 5.  I guess it depends on the age and possibly room for an extra component.
In all the North phones I came across I have never seen any thing connected to 6.
Howard

paul-f

So far, we have photos of North sets with AE and WE ringers.  To see North ringers for the H-series sets go here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/NorthRingers.html

There's also some info on H-series model numbers here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/north1.htm

Is there a model number on the AE ringer?  Are you sure it's a straight line ringer and not a frequency ringer?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

ewolfram

Thanks for the thoughts so far... I'm not sure if this is a frequency ringer or not. Is there a tutorial that can help determine that? What should I look for?

Also, the ringer looks like it used to be riveted to the base, however, now it is loose. I suppose we would want to  bolted this down just so it doesn't bang around in there  but does that also happen to complete the circuit?

thephoneguys

I have a galion 646 north electric desk top .The problem I'm having instead of 4 wires going to the rotary. there's 5 ?   2 are together and the rest are single. The colors  (and I have no idea how this happened?) have faded away. And now they all look beige.  I have been tring to get this phone to work (an it did a few weeks ago) untill I took it apart to fix the handset cord and to clean the entire phone.(I labled all the wires. Yet when I put it back together.   Now when you try to dial a number, all you get is a constent dial tone ?    Can someone help me out here :-(    I've been tring to fix it for 2 days now. But to no avail

5/2/12 1:53 am EST

HowardPgh

What dial is in your 6H6?
You may have to trace where the wires go using a continuity tester and process of elimination.
Have the diagram in front of you.(Print out the one from TCI website that shows the pre & post 1950 color codes) I would work from the dial out to the rest of the phone.
I had one with 5 dial wires, the extra one went to the "SAT" contact on the AE dial,which isn't neccessary anymore. If its an AE dial make sure that little strap is connected between the pulse contacts and the shunt contacts.
Howard

poplar1

There's also some info on H-series model numbers here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/north1.htm

Is there a model number on the AE ringer?  Are you sure it's a straight line ringer and not a frequency ringer?
[/quote]

This appears to be a straight line ringer. Notice the biasing spring and the lack of brass clapper that would resemble the ones in the link above cited for North ringers.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

There are different diagrams and different dial leads for North sets  depending on the type of dial originally ordered with the set; hopefully the correct diagram is still inside this phone. If the dial has 5 wires because it has the diagram showing a W.E. dial, then the two wires going to BB and W on a WE dial would be on the same screw of an AE dial. The WE dial opens the receiver during dialing; so there is continuity between the BB and W terminals when the dial is idle. 

Most AE dials have only shunting contacts for the receiver. Therefore it is necessary to short the receiver rather than open it when using an AE dial where a WE #2, #4, #5 or #6  dial was intended. (The #7, #8 and #9 WE dials do short the receiver.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HowardPgh

I did a little research and found out that if your set has a WE 5H dial it can have 5 wires.
There are 2 BSPs for this phone
C32.505 12/3/45 shows a 5H with 4 wires.
Addendum C32.505 5/31/46 shows the 5H with 5 wires and improved connections.
I learned something new today!
Howard

G-Man

Quote from: HowardPgh on May 02, 2012, 01:58:43 PM
I did a little research and found out that if your set has a WE 5H dial it can have 5 wires.
There are 2 BSPs for this phone
C32.505 12/3/45 shows a 5H with 4 wires.
Addendum C32.505 5/31/46 shows the 5H with 5 wires and improved connections.
I learned something new today!
Actually I  believe C32.505 covers the North 4H6SLD equipted with either a WECo 4H or 5H dial (page 6) and the accompanying addendum shows it re-wired as a 5H6SLD instrument.
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.phpoption=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=3304&Itemid=2