News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing a bulldog transmitter from a WE 51 AL

Started by mikeydo23, January 05, 2012, 04:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeydo23

I'm not sure how it is attached, but it won't budge even after unscrewing the perimeter screws.  Does it screw on like handset caps, or is it just placed in and then fastened with screws...
Anyway, I don't know what electrical components are underneath and I don't want to harm them.
Any help would be much appreciated!

LarryInMichigan

The transmitter is held by the screws.  I would suggest removing all of the screws and carefully trying to rotate the transmitter a bit to loosen the grip of the cup and whatever dirt is between them.  Heating the cup with a hair dryer will likely help if the transmitter is still stuck.

Larry

HarrySmith

What Larry said!

Also a strap wrench may aid in getting it to twist. Do not try to turn it all the way around, just a little side to side to work it out.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

mikeydo23

I heated it until it was pretty hot to the touch, but it still wouldn't budge...
Should I try heating it for a longer period of time?

LarryInMichigan

I wouldn't recommend heating it that much.  you don't want the paint to flake off.  Can you carefully try prying it loose with a small putty knife or screw driver?  If it is really stuck, I would wonder if some genius glued it into place.  I think that most of us have seen that some time or another.

Larry

mikeydo23

I thought that might be the case.  I didn't want to try prying it off until I knew for sure that it wasn't screwed on. 
I'll give it a shot!

HarrySmith

Try heating the back of the transmitter, the metal may expand faster than the bakelite. Something to get more grip may help. If you do not have a strap wrench maybe in the kitchen your wife has one of those jar openers. That may work, just protect it with some padding. Also maybe if you have any of that non slip mat used for dishes in the cabinet, or to keep stuff in place on the car dashboard may work. Just move it a little from side to side.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Don't try to rotate vary far.  Back and forth a small fraction of a turn should be sufficient.  Rotating the transmitter too far might break the wires or worse.

Larry

mikeydo23

Well its not moving even a little.  Any other suggestions?

HarrySmith

I have not tried this but it should work. Put the screws back in and leave them out just enough to get the blade of a small screwdriver under the head. Tap lightly with a screwdriver alternating from top to bottom screw or side to side.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

I've had those transmitters stick on me before, and I just take a flat blade screw driver and a hammer, and tap on the back side of the transmitter, moving around the cup until the transmitter starts moving out.  I've never broken one this way, but don't tap too hard.
Dave

mikeydo23

Mission accomplished!
I applied a small amount of WD40 in the seam and then used wds's technique and it worked like a charm!
Thank you everyone for your contributions!