"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Microwave Link to Prince Edward Island

Started by G-Man, May 08, 2015, 12:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Man

Hi Dave

I know that you have already covered this topic extensively, however in case you don't already have this in you archives, but first, a couple of questions...

Why is the American flag flying on the support structure?
Also, shouldn't umberland be capitalized or is it a typo? 
(edited- added jpeg version)

Electrical Communications
Technical Journal of the International Telephone and Telegraph Corporation and Associate Companies
Volume 26
December 1949
Number 4

G-Man

Answered my own question by using Google; it is correctly spelled as one word-
Northumberland Strait.

twocvbloke

DavePEI

Quote from: G-Man on May 08, 2015, 12:47:28 AM
Hi Dave
Why is the American flag flying on the support structure?
Just Because! No, seriously the two flags are the US flag and the Union Jack. The Union Jack was used as Canada's national flag along with the Red Ensign up until the adoption of the Maple Leaf flag... I suspect the US flag is there because they had two great flag poles, and there always have been very close ties between the US and Maritimes (especially New England, to where we exported a lot of Island descendants)! Probably also to honour Federal Electric's contribution to the project.

The PDF file shows the Fraser's Mountain, NS end of the link I think. PEI's Cherry Valley end had one central support post, so no room for two flags there  :)

The success of this installation became part of the inspiration for the development of the Trans Canada Telephone System, and its later microwave links across Canada. It is funny that the first installation of Microwave was on PEI - odd until one realizes it was an Island with a very large population, which in the past had been served only by relatively short lived submarine radio and HF links.

I have no good photo of the Tea Hill end of the link save this one taken after it was removed from service. We used to drive by the site frequently when I was a child, and I was fascinated by it (during the years it was still in operation). Thinkinng afterward, the one in your PDF may indeed be the Tea Hill installation, only with a gin pole added to aid in the removal of antennas in my photo.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Ktownphoneco

Actually the Red Ensign was Canada's flag of choice up until 1965, when the current flag was adopted.     It was in use from 1868 until 1965, and underwent several minor changes during that time period.   The Union Jack, or the "Royal Union" flag was a ceremonial flag used when deemed appropriate and usually in conjunction with ceremonies involving the "Commonwealth of Nations" (formerly the British Commonwealth) of which Canada, along with Great Britain, Australia (as of 1942), and New Zealand (as of 1947), to name but a few of the 53 nations or states which belong, or belonged at one time or another.      However, if one chose to fly the Union Jack in place of the Red Ensign, that was fine.   
The Red Ensign flew on top of the Peace Tower of the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa until February 1965, when it was taken down and replaced with the "Maple Leaf" flag.      The current flag, and the Red Ensign still fly together at Vimy Ridge, at the Canadian National Vimy Memorial, due to the Canadian troops fought under the Red Ensign in WW I.
To add to Dave's comments on the U.S. Flag;  it's flown quite often throughout southern Ontario in towns and cities along the U.S. / Canada border as a symbol of respect and just being courteous to our neighbor and ally.   

Jeff Lamb

Fabius

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on May 08, 2015, 10:33:03 AM

To add to Dave's comments on the U.S. Flag;  it's flown quite often throughout southern Ontario in towns and cities along the U.S. / Canada border as a symbol of respect and just being courteous to our neighbor and ally.   

Jeff Lamb

Living (part time) in Michigan I see the Canadian flag flown in many places for the same reasons as stated, a sign of respect and courtesy to our nearby neighbor. As I travel south away from the Michigan Canadian boarder not seen as much.

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905