"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial Cards Opinions?

Started by Doug Rose, December 30, 2020, 12:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I think dial cards make the telephone.

I am not a fan of the repro dial cards and would rather not have a dial card at all than a repro dial card.

I like the dial cards to be in nice shape, with no damage.

I have made some up with my phone number, have a few copies but to me the real deal on a great phone just makes it so much better.....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Original is definitely best. And age appropriate to the telephone. I would rather have a good repro than none.

Just my personal taste, but I don't like dial cards which have been written on with pen, no matter when it was done.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tipnring

I agree, you must have a dial card to make the phone. Personally I make repo's and don't duplicate them on any phones. I have one original but they are hard to find in great shape.
You can't leave a phone with no dial card . Yuk. In my opinion. Dennis

Pourme

~

I agree that number cards are important, wouldn't display a phone without one. Guess I have been a little slack on my number card game. I was blessed earlier with a purchase from another collector but, lately have been using some mail ordered repos that I have been less than pleased with.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Key2871

I also choose to use old or original cards not repros.
It just makes the phone look authentic.
I only use reproduction when I have nothing else.
KEN

HarrySmith

Agreed. I usually keep the original cards from phones I sell unless it is something special like the '37 302 I  just sold. I use them on all my display phones.

FYI = I still have some NOS cards That I offered a while back here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23019.0

Just PM me if you need some.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

allnumbedup

I believe that non-collectors who want just one "old phone' in their house most appreciate personalized or custom reproductions that look old but do not display someone else's phone number.  As a collector, I agree that I prefer a period original if possible.   I always tuck any card that comes with the phone inside the housing for posterity even if I wind up replacing it.  A lot of times, my favorite cards are  the old original ones you sometimes find tucked behind a newer updated one.
Analog Phones for a Digital World

dsk

When I have an original dial card, I keep it, but else I do one of these options, I state make, model , year... on the new dial card. I make a retro card with blank fields, or I make one who fits with the use of the phone, e.g. the number.

dsk

Doug Rose

I recently purchased 3 bags of 50 each of used dial cards for $6 per bag on eBay

All are in ready to use condition.

Not sure why people would rather have a "repro dial" card instead of these beauties.

I think they stick out and just ruin the vintage phones appearance. I would rather have a copy than this repro.

Just my humble opinion...Doug

Kidphone

Doug Rose

sorry...$9 a bag....memory  ???
Kidphone

markosjal

Dial cards are important but I prefer to have BLANK dial card, or dial card with correct number.

I think when people leave old dial cards showing with an invalid number it is tacky.

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Contempra

Quote from: markosjal on April 01, 2023, 02:04:41 PMDial cards are important but I prefer to have BLANK dial card, or dial card with correct number.

I think when people leave old dial cards showing with an invalid number it is tacky.

Personally, I don't mind if there is a number already written on the dial card. At least there is one (often the phone is complete except for the dial card) and I'm glad I didn't make one because I don't know how to do it and I don't have a printer...

tubaman

I think an original dial card is all part of a phones story so I prefer it to have the original number still on it.

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on April 02, 2023, 03:22:21 AMI think an original dial card is all part of a phones story so I prefer it to have the original number still on it.
Agreed. If the original is destroyed or gone, I would rather have an age appropriate dial card than one of the glossy repros....Doug
Kidphone

Kellogg Kitt

The ideal number card is the one that was on the phone years ago when it was in Telephone Company service, showing the original number.  Sadly, often those are missing or severely degraded or damaged. 

An acceptable substitute is one that is authentic to the time and place the phone would have been used, preferably a real one, not a reproduction.  Most reproduction cards look fake to me.

But the worst thing of all is to use a number card (vintage or repro) that is not authentic to the time and place the phone would have been used.  I cringe every time I see a "Bell System" card on a Kellogg or AE phone, or an "M" card on a 1950s non-modular 500 set, or an exchange name on a 1980s 2500 set, etc.

This "Bell System" card on a Leich crank phone looked like a horror show to me.  I think the antique dealer must have installed it, thinking that it added value.  I removed it and sent it bye-bye.

Wade