News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Collecting unusual Bell company items

Started by Charles Davis, November 20, 2018, 09:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Davis

This summer I made a find at antique show in Hunstville, TX I found an employee badge that appears to have been from the mid-20th century.  I'll try to remember to post a picture later.  It's basically a white metal pin with blue enamel on the front in the shape of an older Bell logo,  I became so intrigued I looked online and found a similar pin that was used by a Bell company in southern California.

At an antique store in Tomball, TX I found a group of Bell company logos, such as would have been mounted on the outside of the building.  They are made of cast metal and came in two parts... the outer ring and the inner bell symbol,  The one I bought was the larger of the two with a 48 inch diameter for the circle.  I didn't measure the smaller version, but would guess it has a 36 inch diameter.  Of course my thought when I bought the sign is that I would hang it in my man cave and surround it with the old phones I have, including the wooden ones, as well as the rotary pay phones and wall phones.  I still haven't figured out exactly how I would do that, but it remains an ambition.

- Greg

Jim Stettler

Quote from: tryppyr on November 20, 2018, 09:09:02 AM
This summer I made a find at antique show in Hunstville, TX I found an employee badge that appears to have been from the mid-20th century.  I'll try to remember to post a picture later.  It's basically a white metal pin with blue enamel on the front in the shape of an older Bell logo,  I became so intrigued I looked online and found a similar pin that was used by a Bell company in southern California.

At an antique store in Tomball, TX I found a group of Bell company logos, such as would have been mounted on the outside of the building.  They are made of cast metal and came in two parts... the outer ring and the inner bell symbol,  The one I bought was the larger of the two with a 48 inch diameter for the circle.  I didn't measure the smaller version, but would guess it has a 36 inch diameter.  Of course my thought when I bought the sign is that I would hang it in my man cave and surround it with the old phones I have, including the wooden ones, as well as the rotary pay phones and wall phones.  I still haven't figured out exactly how I would do that, but it remains an ambition.

- Greg

Nice finds Greg,
A 4' Bell sign is kinda hard to find. The bigger the sign, the taller the building. Most of the bell emblems I have seen for sale  are 2-3'.
The original mounting seems to be threaded studs mounted to the sign and then attached to a bracket on the building.  I had a 3' one that I mounted to a backboard for hanging.  The backboard was the best mounting method I could come up with.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.