News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson 1250 (sort of)

Started by LarryInMichigan, March 12, 2014, 06:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

This phone: ebay link which I bought last week just arrived.  I had been looking for an SC 1250, but didn't want to pay $75+ for one.  This one was $20 plus shipping.  The bakelite shell is in very good condition.

As you can see in the picture, the base is not really a 1250 base but rather from a 1243 desk model.  I have no idea what the differences are, but the handset cord is held to the bottom plate next to the network on the wrong side of the phone, so the cord was squeezed between the shell and the bottom plate (it's a wonder that the shell didn't crack).  The opening in the shell for the handset cord is near the opposite corner.  Can someone here point me to a picture of the inside of a genuine 1250 so that I can see how the handset cord is routed and restrained and other other differences.

Thank You

Larry

WesternElectricBen

Just like mine, though mine has a dial. But, it does strangely have a 1243 base, rather than a 1250 base.

Ben

LarryInMichigan

I just figured this out.  I was foolishly thinking that the handset cord was supposed to exit through the big hole on the right side near the bottom, but I realize now that it exists through the hole in the upper left corner.  The big hole on the right side must have been for a magneto crank handle.  I guess that I got a Frankenphone made from magneto phone shell and a 1243 base.  Oh well, it was only about $34 total.

Larry

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rdelius

Except the for the stamping, the bases are interchangable.Iwould not worry about it or cover up the markings

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Brinybay on March 21, 2014, 09:26:07 PM
Larry - You have a shell, I have a base, want to make a deal?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6973

Greg,

Thank you for the offer, but I think that I will pass for now.  Perhaps some day, I will find the real thing.  My shell obviously came from the magneto version of the phone.  The number written on the card is "2i F22".  Can someone here translate that?

Larry