News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ericsson Question

Started by Fabius, October 20, 2014, 02:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I've seen a few of these in black on ebay, many with a sticker in English on the bottom saying "Made in Holland". They are black. Here is one in ivory. Scarce? What model is this and what is the button for?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

What you have there is the Ericsson Model 1951 made for the Dutch PTT.

Radio Shack bought large quantities of them, including other PTT models, such as the Heemaf 1955, and imported them to the US for sale in their stores. Before leaving Holland, the phones received the white label "Made in Holland" on the bottom of the sets.  This indicated that they were exported under that sales agreement. They weren't refurbished or even cleaned up it seems, many of them still have their original number cards in place.

Having one in ivory is very nice.

The button is a so-called earthing button, it shorts one of the line conductors (a, or L1 in US nomenclature) to ground for signaling purposes.

For comparison:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10330.msg109664#msg109664

Fabius

Thanks for the information and the link. There sure are a lot of the black ones on eBay with the Made in Holland sticker. I'm a little surprised they state Holland instead of Netherlands.

Dank je wel
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

poplar1

Arwin, how common were color phones from this period in the Netherlands?

In the 1970s, Radio Shack also sold refurbished U.S. made phones, but they wanted black only. (We sold all the color sets to Warren Bohnsack (BECO)---except for one nile green AE 40 and one old rose 302 which I got.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on October 20, 2014, 05:05:52 PM
Thanks for the information and the link. There sure are a lot of the black ones on eBay with the Made in Holland sticker. I'm a little surprised they state Holland instead of Netherlands.

Dank je wel

Using Holland portraits that all positive, good things come from Holland.  :-)

unbeldi

The popularity of colored telephone rose in Europe about the same time as in the US, in the 50s.
While ivory was the most prevalent color-alternative to black initially, these were also made in several pastel hues, such a s a very delicate pastel mint green, that I really like to have, and missed a couple of times.

Siemens, in Germany, was more bold with bright-deep colors, but mostly used for private telephone systems, as the postoffice was more conservative in selecting what could be connected to the 'public' network.

unbeldi

This beauty is available on Marktplaats currently.  Pure white.

Matilo Telephones

Hi guys,

The Ericsson 1951 is very abundant in black, here and elsewhere.

A white one was very exclusive and very expensive back in the day. (very very expensive). Other colors almost non-existant here. And certainly absent in the PTT inventory.

Because of the price and rarity people seem to have kept them, so you see them all the time.

However, a good one is rare. I mean without cracks, breaks and with the number window intact. And the cords tend to go yellow over the years. White original vinyl cords, undiscolored, you do not see very often.

The vinyl cords are almost certainly retrofits. Originally they had cloth covered curly cords. These tend to uncurl, so an curly cloth covered handset cord you almost never see.

And the final detail would be an cloth covered line cord with either a white bakelite connection box or a white bakelite plug.

The product number on the bottom should end /w for white.

They come in different shades of white probably because of color differences between production of batches of parts. There are loads of them with mismatching parts.

They keep their color very well and do not fade or discolor of the years and really keep their shine. Better than `normal` bakelite.

Holland is the same as the Netherlands as England is the same as Great Brittain. A couple of decades ago nobody would make a distincion between then. Nowadays the first thing a typical Dutchmand does is explain to a foreigner that Holland is only a part of the Netherlands.

But on the football field every Dutchman yells Holland, not Nederland. :-)
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

unbeldi

I found my pictures of the green version.
It was actually described as pistache green, not mint as I did, but here it is.

This one was not made in Holland for the PTT, but in Sweden in 1964.

Very rare and beautiful, and went for almost $400, if I recall correctly, about two years ago.

Fabius

This one has the wrong caps? On eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/lfljsxz ( dead link 05-10-21 )
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on October 22, 2014, 12:45:12 PM
This one has the wrong caps? On eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/lfljsxz
This is a W48 type.  Not by Siemens but a licensee.
The caps are probably correct. In the late 50s Siemens and others started to accent their phones by providing differently colored caps and dials. Often the caps were ivory while the housing was some kind of light color, or gray.

Matilo Telephones

That green one is great, Unbeldi! I love these colored ones.

Do you have additional pictures?

Please note the handset. It was the redesigned model from 1947. The type 1951 had the same model for a very short period.

After that it was changed with another model, a near copy of the F1. All the type 1951's were retrofitted with that newer model, here in Holland.

Do you have a picture of the other side of that green one? Do the cords exit out of the side instead of the rear?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

unbeldi

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on October 22, 2014, 04:05:25 PM
That green one is great, Unbeldi! I love these colored ones.

Do you have additional pictures?

Please note the handset. It was the redesigned model from 1947. The type 1951 had the same model for a very short period.

After that it was changed with another model, a near copy of the F1. All the type 1951's were retrofitted with that newer model, here in Holland.

Do you have a picture of the other side of that green one? Do the cords exit out of the side instead of the rear?

Yes, the cord exit is on the side, and yes I have more picture. Will post later.

unbeldi

I have added more pictures of the pistache green LME 1951 to the previous post.