Started by Doug Rose, May 18, 2014, 12:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

If only this was that!! It would be coming down right now  8)  Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Yeah, I'm surprised but not totally taken aback or amazed by this. And there were 13 bidders going after these. I've seen Western Electric movie theater sound equipment go for big bucks in the past. What is worth big bucks? Don't know, I'm not an analog sound aficionado. Good for the seller, who probably is amazed, and wish they had more to sell.

Same for tube amps. Seen those go for real money, but not at this range. Something about not having the semiconductor hiss appeals to those who both appreciate fine sound and can still hear, their ears still work as when received.

This is the bid history, for posterity. And we think phone auctions are crazy at times. The high bid was exposed with about two and half minutes to go. The bids then jumped from about $10,500 to $22,200 plus in the last few minutes with the last second snipe being a $7,000 increase. Wow! More than a few people wanted these.

Greg G.

Here's another one.  Not sure what it actually sold for, I couldn't find it on ebay even under closed auctions.  It only says it was "acquired", I'm not sure if that really means it sold for 8k.
http://vintagespeaker.net/western-electric-596a-597a-bostwick-tweeter-1929-experimental-prototype
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Slal

Not sure what the spec's are but they probably want the 'horns' for building custom monitors for an uber-system.

Price doesn't surprise me that much but never seen one like it E-Bay.

I hope this won't be too much a digression, but if you guys have things like this just sitting around.  Caribbean cruise this summer for you.

In 1999, visited an 'Audio Salon' not knowing it was for the upper 2%.

"Audio Consultant" there (they're not mere salesmen of course) was smart. 

Showed me a system he claimed was custom made for NBA star David Robinson.  Price back in 1999?  A mere Five hundred thousand...

Bi-amp, bi-wire system was set up on an actual stage & components resembled art objects.  Fellow put on a BB King LP and the sound fidelity blew me away.  BB King was there on stage & yet he wasn't of course.

Sound techs had all the monitor positions, room reverb-- everything-- figured out to the last inch & microsecond.

"Consultant" was smart because he showed me what's possible in almost flawlessly reproducing music.

Then after the "shock & awe" from system custom made for a millionaire, the guy got around to asking how much I had to spend.  He could set me up with something.  Only thing I could afford was a little Jolida tube amp.

Must be nice to have that kind of cash. ; )

--Bruce, who is wishing he was the seller on this one.  "Maybe I'll get lucky & someone will buy these things for a dollar." ; )