News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Today's Find - Statuary Bronze E1 Handset & Some Other Stuff

Started by Dennis Markham, July 11, 2010, 11:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I saw this on a table at the flea market today.  I wasn't real sure what it was or how it was used.  It appears to be some type of intercom system.  The small wooden back board has a buzzer and another gizmo attached.  In addition there is a hook to hang the handset.  It was inside a metal canister with a Western Electric logo and many white paint speckles on top.  I e-mailed Doug Rose about it and he said the canister held batteries.  The handset cord is shot and there is some chipping of the paint but it appears to be a decent E1 seamless handset with a bullet transmitter.

LarryInMichigan

Dennis,

That is interesting.  It looks like someone's homemade intercom.  The E1 handset looks good.  Some paint stripper and polishing, and you should have a good, usable E1.  Now all you need is a #4 dial :)

Larry

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Dennis Markham

The Bakelite appears to be in decent shape.  Someone that needs to complete a Statuary Bronze set may have use for it as it is...although as I mentioned, some chipped paint.  I'm sure it could be stripped and used as a regular black E1.

HarrySmith

Interesting, I agree it looks like a homemade intercom setup. Nice handset though, strip & polish in my opinion ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Dennis...great find. A seamless E1 with the bullet transmitter is a great find. Before you strip it, I'd offer it up as is. If someone has a Statuary Bronze set and looking for an E1 handset; chances are real good that its not in perfect condition. Although the E1's paint is chipped, this E1 is still in great shape. NICE FIND!! If you decide to keep it, it would look very sharp on a  D1 with all the paint stripped off. A D1 with all the paint of looks like polished pewter...Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

I believe that the D1 is zinc.  I have a B1 which is steel.

Larry

bingster

Neat finds, Dennis!  If I'm not mistaken, the handset is Oxidized Silver.  Statuary Bronze is a very dark brown metallic with green highlights, O.S. is a silvery metallic with black accents.  I'm sure somebody would pay a nice premium for it if it were left intact.
= DARRIN =

bwanna

very nice, dennis. did you get that at the antique show in utica a couple weeks ago?...i had to miss that due to mandatory overtime at work. >:(
donna

Dennis Markham

No, Donna.  It came from the Armada flea market.  You didn't miss anything (as far as telephones are concerned) from the "big" Antique Fair.  But you can give that another shot as they have one more in early September.

Doug Rose

Dennis...I agree with Bingster, I think he is right, it is oxidized silver. Is this going to find its way to eBay or is it a keeper? I still think it would look great on a stripped down 202.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, I'm not sure yet what the plan is for that handset.  I'll have to do some pondering over it.  It's not in the greatest of condition.