News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First AE80

Started by tubaman, January 10, 2019, 01:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

I've been after an AE80 for some time but they rarely appear this side of the pond and I didn't like the prices and/or condition of most of the ones I say on eBay.
Just before Christmas this one appeared and I finally took the plunge - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Monophone-Automatic-Electric-Black-Rotary-Dial-Desk-Phone-4-Ft-Cord/153319469517
It arrived a couple of days ago and I've given it a quick clean and check over.
From the date codes (OJ) and what I've found on here I believe it was made in 1967.
It's got the earlier base with triangular feet and reostat and with the handset cord coming from the back.  The case however does also have the slot in the side for that type of fitment, so either the case has been replaced or it was made when both base types were being used?
It's also got a straight-line ringer which is a real bonus.
I'm really happy with it, but any thoughts from other members would be much appreciated.
:)

tubaman

A couple more photos.

Jim Stettler

Great find of the month phone. Cheap and scarce in your locale, mention that when submitting the phone :)
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Looks very nice in the photos and a bargain price too. I can see why you were tempted.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

rdelius

At least the chassis is older. Note the AE Chicago address. AE moved to Northlake Il about 1957 or 58.I guess it was rebuilt at some time because of the case notched for a side handset cord ,plastic  instead of a Bakelite handset and a plastic instead of metal fingerwheel. I see very few type 80s for sale here even though i am in a former GTE area

jsowers

It looks just like the phone we had when I was growing up in the 1970s, except ours had a party line ringer that thrummed like a drum. It even had the housing with the side cord exit and I re-routed our handset cord to come out that side because it made the cord just that much longer. Never had a moment's trouble out of that phone, other than the dial needed lube once or twice. Our phone like this went away when they did away with party lines in the early 1980s. I installed a jack faceplate on the wall and used one of my yard sale phones, so we went modular and owned our own phone. It was like shackles coming off a prisoner. Boy was I thrilled. And I was just a college age kid.

Congratulations on getting a nice older one.
Jonathan

tubaman

Quote from: rdelius on January 10, 2019, 03:51:35 PM
At least the chassis is older. Note the AE Chicago address. AE moved to Northlake Il about 1957 or 58.I guess it was rebuilt at some time because of the case notched for a side handset cord ,plastic  instead of a Bakelite handset and a plastic instead of metal fingerwheel. I see very few type 80s for sale here even though i am in a former GTE area

So I have a pre 1958 chassis that has been rebuilt in 1967 by the sound of it.

rdelius

That sounds about right. Bakelite handsets and metal fingerwheels are out there

RB

tubaman

Quote from: rdelius on January 11, 2019, 07:24:08 PM
That sounds about right. Bakelite handsets and metal fingerwheels are out there

I knew about the metal fingerwheels but wasn't aware of the Bakelite handsets.
How do I recognise a Bakelite handset - are they the ones with only five holes in the receiver cap, or isn't it that simple?
You do realise that I'll have to start looking for another one now!
;D

rdelius

The bakelite handsets have no hole in the center of the caps. The rec cap might have smaller holes also.

HarrySmith

The easiest and best method to determine if it is Bakelite is the pin test. Heat up the end of a pin until it glows red. Touch it somewhere on the inside. If it melts it is plastic, if it is unaffected it is Bakelite.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tubaman

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 12, 2019, 01:20:01 PM
The easiest and best method to determine if it is Bakelite is the pin test. Heat up the end of a pin until it glows red. Touch it somewhere on the inside. If it melts it is plastic, if it is unaffected it is Bakelite.

Harry - that's a good test but I'm not sure I've got the nerve to ask any eBay sellers to try it for me!
;D