News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric 3-slot all chrome payphone

Started by Greg G., December 17, 2014, 02:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

This is mostly to increase my knowledge of payphones, I'm not really in the market for one, and I've already blown my phone budget for a while.  I just want some feedback on this one.  My first question is how did a Canadian payphone find service way down in New Mexico?  Is that not unusual?  Other general feedback on the price and demand for this type of payphone.  The only way I could justify this phone is if I could get them to knock off half the price with a partial trade (provided they were interested), but I need to know what to look for and what questions to ask.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/atq/4779233175.html ( dead link 04-06-21 )

QuotePayphone Northern Electric 3 slot - $300 (Bellevue)
Chrome Payphone 3 slot Northern Electric. Have keys to upper housing and coin housing. Phone is in good shape.
Originally from Truth or Consequences New Mexico. Is configured as "post pay" (deposit coins after party answers). Can be modified to use as regular phone. Comes with backboard to mount on wall.

$300 OBO
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

poplar1

This appears to have been installed by a non-Bell "independent" phone company. They typically used either Automatic Electric or Northern Electric/Northern Telecom pay stations. This one is a postpay.

http://www.area-codes.com/exchange/exchange.asp?npa=575&nxx=894
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

From the pictures provided, is there anything that stands out as not being right?  What about the asking price?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

poplar1

It does have a backboard, both locks and both keys, and chrome seems to be better than average (not pitted as far as can be seen). And the fact that seller says it can be modified to work as a regular phone, rather than stating it's working, may indicate that the inside parts are original. Since he is asking $300 OBO, I would offer $200 (max.) or less. Also, remember that this model doesn't have a prepay coin relay, if you are wanting to refund and collect coin deposits using a pay phone controller.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.