News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Someone explain what's going on here.

Started by Dan/Panther, June 25, 2010, 02:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Can someone explain to me why this Kellogg DK500 will shut down all of my phones, but all phones will work perfectly normal,  just by disconnecting the Red wire to the DK500 ringer ?
I have continuity between the Red and Black ringer wires, and the secondary ringer wires I get 345 Ohms on the 20K scale.
The phone worked perfectly when I first hooked it up, it rang, and all other phones worked great. Then all of a sudden phone lines went dead. I thought maybe the ringer was a frequency ringer, but it rang normally when It was working. The ringer has no markings at all. I replaced the line cord, switched the Red and Black wires, switched the Green and Red line wires, All combination's I could think of, nothing works,  yet everything seems to be in good operating condition. Are my meter readings correct for the ringer ?
With the Red wire disconnected all phones including the Kellogg work fine, just the Kellogg doesn't ring.
Would reversing the secondary ringer wires (Gray/Red & Gray) help, I haven't tried that ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Dan:

The slate and slate/red wires should be hooked to A and K on the network, and it does not make any difference which terminal they are hooked to, but the diagram says that slate/red hooks to A and slate goes to K.  Of course, black to L1, and red to L2.

Can you get a top down photo of the network and the connections?  Did you check to make sure that one of the spade tip shanks is not askew and touching on another terminal? 

Take the connections off A and K and put your ohm meter on A and K.  Since A and K are the ringer capacitor, you should get no reading and it should look like an open circuit, except that your meter may jump for a fraction of a second when first hooking it up as the capacitor momentarily discharges into the ohm meter.
-Bill G