News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can I use this as a subset?

Started by tallguy58, September 02, 2014, 05:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

This was posted on another thread but no one responded, so I'll try again here.

Any way of rewiring this to work on a B1, D1 or desk stand? In other words, wiring it up like a 302. Disconnecting the mag and key doesn't concern me. NE catalog states this model was used for "medium and heavy loaded magneto lines". The N500CG has a 195AN condenser the 104 coil and B1N 4600 Ohms ringer. All the pieces seem to be there. It also has a N1G key on the side of it.

Can't I just remove the resistor from the coil, or is it easier to swap out to a 101?
Cheers........Bill

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

unbeldi

Quote from: tallguy58 on September 02, 2014, 05:01:54 PM

Any way of rewiring this to work on a B1, D1 or desk stand? In other words, wiring it up like a 302. Disconnecting the mag and key doesn't concern me. NE catalog states this model was used for "medium and heavy loaded magneto lines". The N500CG has a 195AN condenser the 104 coil and B1N 4600 Ohms ringer. All the pieces seem to be there. It also has a N1G key on the side of it.

Can't I just remove the resistor from the coil, or is it easier to swap out to a 101?

Why would you want to do this?

Removing the resistor from the 104A induction coils does exactly nothing. It does not change the operation of the induction coil or the telephone as a whole. Only one end of the resistor is connected to the coil, and if the resistor is not needed, simply don't connect anything to it. Its purpose is to provide an adjustment to balance the anti-sidetone compensation against the line impedance.

Why don't you simply add a battery and demonstrate the set as intended?

You would be destroying a nice example of telephony history. These types of sets (AST local-battery talking common-battery signaling) are not at all plentiful, although perhaps more so in NECo territory, because they made these types until quite a bit later than WECo did.  I think I have seen examples with date stamps in the late 50s.

The 500CG subset would go nicely with a Uniphone #5 or #6.

For the purpose of discussion of the circuit in this box, here is a discussion of a subset with a 104A that is very similar in construction to this one:  WE 400K subset

dsk

If you want a local battery set, this will be fine, for a CB solution, the ringer will be fine.  The induction coil are not easily converted to plain CB, but nice for the LB talking, CB signalling system.

dsk

Greg G.

Quote from: tallguy58 on September 02, 2014, 05:01:54 PM

Any way of rewiring this to work on a B1, D1 or desk stand? In other words, wiring it up like a 302. ...

Sounds like you want the unique look of a wooden subset, but the functionality of a more "modern" subset that went with the B1, D1, desk stands (candlesticks)?

If that's the case, making a custom wood cover for a 302 base would be one idea.  Or find a wooden subset that's already been gutted and rig up a 302 base in it.  I agree with the other poster, I wouldn't mess with that subset, try something else.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

tallguy58

Thanks guys. I'll probably rig something up with another subset. These things are plentiful and cheap up here. That's the only reason I mentioned it. Made them well into the 50's.
Cheers........Bill