News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Look what I just won on eBay! (NE Payphone)

Started by Godfather367, March 25, 2015, 05:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godfather367

Hello everyone, After bidding and losing many auctions, I finally won a 3 slot payphone. It's a Northern Electric, really wanted Western Electric, But I'm perfectly happy with this one. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two?

Thanks!
   Anthony
Anthony -
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
ATCA 4719
<center><a href="http://atcaonline.com/"></center>

Phonesrfun

Depends on the model.  There were various individual models of both Western and Northern.  Northern Electric was primarily Canadian, so it might be set up for Canadian coins.
-Bill G

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 25, 2015, 05:31:14 PMNorthern Electric was primarily Canadian, so it might be set up for Canadian coins.

I know little about pay phones, but know a little bit more about coins, both Canadian and US.  Canada kept it's large cents and small silver 5 cent pieces longer than the US, but during the 1920s our nickels were changed to a size nearly identical to the US counterpart.  Quarters and dimes were already about the same size.   Reeded edges on some of the US coins might be slightly thicker than ours.  Weights will likely vary though due to different metallic composition, but I have no idea if the difference will be enough to affect the phone.  When our silver 5 cents went to the larger size, they were made of nearly pure nickel and remained so until much later, then switched to a cupro-nickel alloy, then to plated steel.  Our quarters and dimes remained silver alloy until mid-1968, then pure nickel and later plated steel.  If I'm not mistaken, US nickels, dimes and quarters all switched to clad copper after 1964.  We often get US coins in our change up here and I don't recall having problem with them in coin operated machinery in general.  I do recall having trouble with our own coinage after they were all switched to the cheap plated steel garbage though.   :)
Cliff

Godfather367

Wow, you really know your coins! Well, when I get it, I'll do some research. I'm happy enough just to finally own one. I just need to get it in to my workshop without my wife seeing it! Haha!
Anthony -
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
ATCA 4719

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Godfather367 on March 25, 2015, 08:23:22 PMI just need to get it in to my workshop without my wife seeing it! Haha!

If you have a tool box big enough for it to fit in, empty it out and carry it out to the car (making it look heavy) on some minor repair related pretext, then hide the phone in it, wast a half hour, and bring it on in.   ;D
Cliff

Hiding the phone is one thing, but hiding the thing it is attached to is another.......  :o

patcorr

What a great idea with the toolbox, I must remember that one. I had some job hiding some old desktop PC's I bought one time. She eventually found them.
The payphone looks brilliant. I might try and pick one up locally. I saw a few recently, but they are more modern models. Gives me a new angle alright. How are they calibrated for the coins does anyone know?

dsk

Quote from: Godfather367 on March 25, 2015, 05:23:18 PM
Hello everyone, After bidding and losing many auctions, I finally won a 3 slot payphone. It's a Northern Electric, really wanted Western Electric, But I'm perfectly happy with this one. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two?

Thanks!
   Anthony

Great phone!
North American payphones are much nicer looking than our. 
Is it pre- or post-pay I would like more pictures from inside and everything, it is so fascinating how they solved it in the days before semiconductors, and kept on the same basics until the "intelligent COCOTS" came.
dsk

Godfather367

Great idea! I will keep that one "on file", I just ended up having it shipped to a friends house and he's going to say "look what I found for you" When I get it, I will post pictures of the inside for you.

Anthony
Anthony -
ATCA 4719

DavePEI

Northern Electric payphones are not necessarily made for use with Canadian coinage. A very large part of their production went south of the border, and those were all set up for US coinage.

However, if you find US coins tend to get stuck in the phone, use Canadian coins in it. That generally is the only differences you will note.

I save the odd US coin here for the museum for use in those phones which are set up for US coins, and you can do the same with phones set up for Canadian coinage. I just throw a handful in the return bucket, so people can play with them...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001