News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

upgrading/replacing microphone?

Started by Netdewt, March 03, 2010, 01:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netdewt

Has anyone upgraded or replaced the microphone in their phone? My 1962 WE 554 sounds a little tinny. Was that typical? It's livable, and I LOVE the phone; I just thought I'd ask.

LarryInMichigan

Netdewt,

Replacing a T1 transmitter capsule is easy, and replacements are easily obtained.  Before replacing yours though, you should try tapping it to loosen the carbon granules which may be packed.  Take out the capsule and tap it on a hard surface a few times.  Shaking it may also help.  Also, while it is out, clean the contacts on the bottom of the capsule and those in the transmitter cup.  Fine sandpaper is good for that.

Larry

Netdewt

Is there anything else that could stand to be replaced or cleaned usually?

LarryInMichigan

Any electrical contacts, such as those in the handset, dial, and hook switch may be dirty and/or oxidized and therefore may need cleaning.  If I hear static or poor sound quality, or the dial doesn't work properly, I spray the contacts with electrical contact cleaner.  If the contacts look oxidized, I rub them with fine sandpaper.  I normally don't replace any parts except for those which obviously need replacement, like broken cords or hopelessly noisy or weak transmitters.  The T1 (and F1) transmitters never give me static problems, but the European ones have.

Larry