News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

That's Just Downright Annoying--More Reasons For Direct Uploads!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, July 04, 2017, 12:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I just learned that Photobucket now requires that you update your account in order to use their 3rd party photo sharing feature. That feature now costs $399 per year. No, I didn't miss a decimal there! :o

The future images you post aren't the only ones affected, current shared images are also included in that, so every image shared here is now blocked.

That's just another reason why 3rd party hosting is such a bad idea--stuff like this happens.

It would help the entire CRPF community if everyone just directly uploaded images here. There's no hassle, no payment, and no future rug-pulling for anyone.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

mentalstampede

Agreed. Even with having to work around the security bug, it beats the alternatives.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

AE_Collector

Yes and for those that aren't aware, John has created a Members Photo's area in the Off Topic board:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=115.0

This is effectively a CRPF Photo Bucket. Create your own topic there and then add your photos so that you can easily link to them in other topics here on the forum (or elsewhere though we may not want to encourage that too much). Anyone can go to your photo topic and check it out which is something to keep in mind and each time you add another post to it a "New" indicator will show up. So, it is usually a good idea to create your topic and then add a whole bunch of almost empty posts (have to add at least one word) in it so in the future as you add pictures one at a time to the existing empty posts the "New" indicator won't appear each time.

Terry

twocvbloke

There's a reason I still occasionally use my own webspace for image hosting, that way it only costs me the price of a URL and not get ripped off by a company that's going down the toilet if they want to charge that much for people to share pictures... :)

19and41

I keep a separate folder on my C drive named uploads and I copy my needed regular pictures there, resize them and use it to browse from and upload to site hosting.  It makes things a lot easier and faster.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Just went through a thread and found many posts with no image, very annoying! It is a good thread about telephone humor too!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=982.msg190057#msg190057
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 05, 2017, 05:05:09 PM
Just went through a thread and found many posts with no image, very annoying! It is a good thread about telephone humor too!

Yes, and what's even more annoying that not seeing a cartoon is to have that happen when searching for help on fixing or restoring something only to find the text there but the image long gone --> " . . . and in this picture you remove the screw circled in yellow and then twist the item in the direction of the arrow."

That Picasa disaster left well over a thousand image links on the forum dead. That's why we've been encouraging all members to upload images rather than use external links.

WEBellSystemChristian

In other forums, there are restrictions for non-membership-paying members on how many pictures they are allowed to upload. I would bet 75% of Photobucket's business was based solely on people posting pictures to forums (like some of us), instead of professional photographers willing to fork out $400 per year on 3rd party sharing.

At the very least, Photobucket will lose more money than they're making with their new charge.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

I can't remember what Mr. Bones had linked in his signature but whatever it was, it's now an ad for the new PhotoBucket premium service upgrade . . .

As with all external links, all of his posts going back to whenever he first attached that signature now shows the same "warning." Just another one of the many reasons already posted not to use externally linked images.

andy1702

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on July 04, 2017, 12:25:30 PM
I just learned that Photobucket now requires that you update your account in order to use their 3rd party photo sharing feature. That feature now costs $399 per year. No, I didn't miss a decimal there! :o

The future images you post aren't the only ones affected, current shared images are also included in that, so every image shared here is now blocked.

That's just another reason why 3rd party hosting is such a bad idea--stuff like this happens.

It would help the entire CRPF community if everyone just directly uploaded images here. There's no hassle, no payment, and no future rug-pulling for anyone.

The problem is directly uploading images here IS a major hassle though! First you have to manually change the size, then also save it as a different format so it gets through that stupid securoty rule. I don't kniw of any other forum affected by that problem, so I think it must be a problem in the settings here.

Forum software should be able to ingest pretty much any image format and automatically resize it, so all the user has to do is upload it.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

19and41

For quick resizing with Windows, right click on a thumbnail image and select "edit" from the dropdown, go to the top toolbar under "file" and select "resize" when the "resize and skew" window comes up, select "pixels" 2 dimensions will be shown.  in the larger of the two, change the figure to 500.  Then press OK,  then in the upper left corner, press the floppy disk icon.  that will save your changes to the picture.  I usually do it with a copy of my pictures and keep the resized copies in a separate folder to have when needed.
— Arthur C. Clarke

jsowers

Quote from: 19and41 on July 08, 2017, 08:19:52 AM
For quick resizing with Windows, left click on a thumbnail image and select "edit" from the dropdown, go to the top toolbar under "file" and select "resize" when the "resize and skew" window comes up, select "pixels" 2 dimensions will be shown.  in the larger of the two, change the figure to 500.  Then press OK,  then in the upper left corner, press the floppy disk icon.  that will save your changes to the picture.  I usually do it with a copy of my pictures and keep the resized copies in a separate folder to have when needed.

I think you meant to say "right click" above. Those are great instructions most anyone could follow and as simple as it gets. In Windows 7 I just click "Resize" in the Home ribbon menu when the image opens and don't have to go to the File menu. I suspect it's the same for Windows 10. I copy images I want to upload to the desktop and then modify them, so my original never gets messed up. Then after they're uploaded, I drag the images to a folder of things I've posted so I have them for future reference.

Those of us who come from the older days of the internet, when server space was always at a premium and dialup was more common, remember having to make do with smaller images. It was part of being a good netizen. These days, jpgs can be 5 megs each and that does add up. So I don't mind re-saving my pics in a smaller size to please the Forum software. I know another forum and I bet 19and41 does too, where all the images have to be 640x480 or something quite small before they will upload. So it's not just this Forum.
Jonathan

Dan/Panther

I have long advocated for on site hosting. It can get detailed, and may cost, BUT it sure saves the photos.
If they did not Grandfather in old shared photos, that in my mind is CLOSE to Ransomware.
They should at least give a big discount to prior sharing.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Quote from: jsowers on July 08, 2017, 01:08:12 PM
These days, jpgs can be 5 megs each and that does add up. So I don't mind re-saving my pics in a smaller size to please the Forum software. I know another forum and I bet 19and41 does too, where all the images have to be 640x480 or something quite small before they will upload. So it's not just this Forum.

Forum images of 1,000 to 1,500 pixels in the largest direction work well. Take little room (load fast when viewing a topic) and provide great resolution. Raw smart phone images are over 4 mBytes in size and can take a long time to load when viewing a topic with more than a few such large images. And that size or resolution is not needed, it's overkill.

As for the security error, it's seems to happen most of the time when uploading smart phone images to the forum. The solution to that has been presented more than enough times to get into it here, again.

I've never posted an image to the forum without first cropping the image, to get rid of the background clutter, and then resizing it. A 4 mByte image of a spade lug on a kitchen table with the full back counter in view including the magnets stuck on the fridge is not good form.

Not sure which site you were referring to but I belong to the Radio Museum and they have very strict rules for uploading images. They allow only jpeg, gif and png images. And, they must be no more than 600.00 KB in size with a Maximum width of 1400 pixels and a Maximum height of 2100 pixels. In big bold letters they also tell members to "Please crop the image to show just the object, not much background" and the format required to naming the image. Pretty tight restrictions on that site.

This is their "image upload directions and warning" seen each time a photo is to be uploaded.