News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE C1 from Ebay--good deal?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, July 21, 2015, 08:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I found this one on ebay, and I had to snap it up! It looks like it's in bare-bones condition; just the skeleton, hookswitch and switchhook. While they aren't incredibly rare, they are definitely much harder to find than a regular G1 Spacesaver.

Did I get it for a good price?   ( $12.99 plus $8 shipping )

www.ebay.com/itm/221830347243
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

NorthernElectric

I have no idea if that's a good price, but I'd pay 13 bucks for that.  Looks like all you need is an E1 handset, a suitable subset, handset and mounting cords, a wall bracket, and you're good to go with a manual set.  I wonder how tough it would be to find dial mounting parts for it?
Cliff

WesternElectricBen

My only concern would be finding a original wall bracket. It's just one of those things where there are more phones than there are brackets remaining. Although, it could be easily made out of wood. If you cannot find one, I can fabricate one in my workshop.

Ben

unbeldi

Usually one can find a complete unit for much less than the parts are going to cost.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on July 21, 2015, 09:54:38 PM
Usually one can find a complete unit for much less than the parts are going to cost.
Well, I already have a complete E1 handset and plenty more parts for them, cloth repro cords (not preferred, but real ones could cost very little), and several WE crank subsets. I'm pretty much set when it comes to extra parts.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

ESalter

You'll find the most difficult part to locate are the 8-36 screws that hold the mounting bracket to the side of the phone.

---Eric

Sargeguy

I bought a complete one w E-1 handset and bracket for $75, and re-sold it for about the same price. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

NorthernElectric

I have just seen one of these for sale with subset, which leads me to wonder if these are sidetone,  anti-sidetone, or could be either.  It looks like 4 hookswitch contacts in Christian's photo so that would make it anti-sidetone, correct?
Cliff

unbeldi

Quote from: NorthernElectric on July 28, 2015, 01:36:13 PM
I have just seen one of these for sale with subset, which leads me to wonder if these are sidetone,  anti-sidetone, or could be either.  It looks like 4 hookswitch contacts in Christian's photo so that would make it anti-sidetone, correct?

It can be either.  C1 handset mountings were available starting ca. 1928, same time the B-type desk set was introduced.  Until ca. 1930/1 these were always sidetone instruments.  First they were simply called C1 telephones, and when the anti-sidetone (AST) circuits were introduced the old sidetone instruments became known as the 101-type telephone.  The upgrade to AST did not require additional switches, just as a B1 and D1 can be used for either.  As an AST instrument, the telephone became known as a 201-type telephone, adding 100 to the model number, as usual.

As the D-type handset mounting was introduced in 1930, After the D-type handset mounting (1930), they also introduced a new hangup-type in ca. 1936, replacing the C1 with the G1 handset mounting, probably one of the longest manufactured telephone types, I believe, well into the 1960s—what is the latest observed?

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on July 28, 2015, 01:46:27 PM
Quote from: NorthernElectric on July 28, 2015, 01:36:13 PM

It can be either.  C1 handset mountings were available starting ca. 1928, same time the B-type desk set was introduced.  Until ca. 1930/1 these were always sidetone instruments.  First they were simply called C1 telephones, and when the anti-sidetone (AST) circuits were introduced the old sidetone instruments became known as the 101-type telephone.  The upgrade to AST did not require additional switches, just as a B1 and D1 can be used for either.  As an AST instrument, the telephone became known as a 201-type telephone, adding 100 to the model number, as usual.

As the D-type handset mounting was introduced in 1930, they also introduced a new hangup-type, replacing the C1 with the G1 handset mounting, probably one of the longest manufactured telephone types, I believe, well into the 1960s—what is the latest observed?

C-type handset mountings were made until at least II 35.
G-type mountings were introduced in 1936, originally with E1E handsets. They were made until at least 1976.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on July 28, 2015, 02:32:36 PM
C-type handset mountings were made until at least II 35.
G-type mountings were introduced in 1936, originally with E1E handsets. They were made until at least 1976.

Oops, yes, of course, we had established that at least once here.

The first BSP was likely Section C32.104, Issue 1, 1936-09-15.

C1s were still in the 1935 catalog.

NorthernElectric

Thanks.  I will see if I can get the seller to take some internal photos of the subset.
Cliff

unbeldi

Here is a component breakdown of the C1 from the 1935 catalog.